Programmable thermostat for heat pump... pointless?

Tue 30 Oct, 2018 05:12 pm
I have 7 programmable thermostats (2 wifi) for my house, for the electrical baseboards. They proved themselves as good money savers as we have serious winters here. I don't heat the house on daytime, start them an hour before and the house is warm.

Next week I will have an heat pump installed (Lennox MLA split systems single zone, but couldn't be more central) via Costco. As it can heat the house down to -20 deg F., I asked twice the sales rep about the availability of programmable thermostat. What he told me is that an heat pump will take much more time than electrical baseboards to get to temperature and basically he is not interested to dig in. Looks like a dead end with him. On the web found this one.

Edit [Moderator]: Link removed

I am not interested to maintain my house temperature at 74 deg F. all time. Do I have the possibility to buy an "aftermarket" wifi programmable thermostat for this unit ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 455 • Replies: 3
Topic Closed
No top replies

roger

Tue 30 Oct, 2018 05:19 pm
@nyhanymannyc,
Sorry I can't answer your question. From other discussions, I do understand that heat pumps are not really a great choice for what one would call 'serious' winters. I doubt I could find that particular discussion, but it did sound well informed.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Tue 30 Oct, 2018 05:31 pm
@nyhanymannyc,
Electric baseboard heaters for serious winters? not so much a sensible idea
0 Replies

engineer

Tue 30 Oct, 2018 08:15 pm
@nyhanymannyc,
You might want to check those numbers. I thought the best, high end heat pumps were only good to -20C which is only -4F and they become a lot more inefficient as you get below freezing meaning you will pay a lot more for the same heating or the unit will turn on its aux heaters which will also boost you costs.

Impact of outside temperature on a heat pump
http://www.nordicghp.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/air-source-heat-pumps-cold-weather.jpg
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Programmable thermostat for heat pump... pointless?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/11/2024 at 12:23:17