Define Nationalist

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2018 02:46 pm
For many years I considered myself as a "nationalist".

As a patriot and an avid supporter of the US government I felt that I aligned myself with the ideal of nationalism.

Though, just as "conservatives" are the most wasteful party with Trump's golf cart fees and extravagant use of taxpayer money for his frivolous lifestyle and rampant republican corruption, basic political terminology seems to be turned on its head.

Liberals once touted as tax and spend are seeking large tax breaks for the middle class and a fair and reasonable tax for corporations.

Conservative is far from conservation as conservative could be construed to mean conservation while conservatives have ravaged public lands, ignored climate change and science, which should align with old fashioned conservative values, and even ethical and moral concerns have taken a back seat to radical religious factions.

Nationalism used to mean "to me" that whatever President got elected I would eventually support them.

I was a republican and voted for Gore but eventually I came around to supporting George W. Bush.

But, as for supporting Trump, it ain't never gonna happen! EVER.

So, I am no longer a nationalist (as I have defined it). Also, I cannot support an even bigger government comprised of male sexists, instruments of voter disenfranchisement, democracy cheaters, racists, religious nutcases, traitors, deniers of the constitution, gun freaks who ignore the first amendment, inciters of violence and breeders of hate. In other words, "the swamp".

I break tradition with the nationalists (for the first time in my life) as I now only find pride in the opposition. The opposition to Trump and the republicans is the remnant of a country I once loved.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 354 • Replies: 10
No top replies

mark noble

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2018 11:49 am
@TheCobbler,
Define 'Nationalist'?

"SLAVE".
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2018 05:36 pm
I was a nationalist because of free speech, liberty, a country of immigrants and ethnic diversity...

Take those things away and I no longer feel the pride in my nation...
TheCobbler

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2018 03:37 pm
https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/48415794_2348989661792338_8369482618005094400_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=94d8c205e4742603421fd7de10b82e51&oe=5C90D92F
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2019 09:48 am
@TheCobbler,
Consider 'Pride'.
It is 'self-elevation'.
Now Consider Who require this facet the most?
The Least Elevated...

Pride is Vanity.
And, such, will kill us all.

Solomon.

Patriotism is the virtue of the viscious, and the Last refuge of a scoundrel.

Wilde.

Ego is what seperates us from ourself.

Me.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2019 12:11 pm
@TheCobbler,
Nationalist has always had a negative connotation to me. It implies a sense of superiority.... my nation is better and more important and its people are more deserving.

The extreme of nationalism is the denial of the humanity of anyone from other nations.
TheCobbler

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2019 04:12 am
Nationalism cannot exist when our president pledges his allegiance to a foreign power...
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2019 04:15 am
@maxdancona,
Simply put.. some nations are better than other nations. The greatness lies in the constitutional values and guiding principles therein.

A nation is only as great as its constitution.

An allegiance to a foreign power that has not sworn loyalty to our Constitution is the very definition of treason.

That foreign power can even be a "religion" that seeks to usurp our separation of church and state.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2019 07:48 am
@TheCobbler,
I don't think the word "better" has any meaning when it comes to nations.

After the US ratified its Constitution, it wiped entire nations off of the map, destroying culture and causing the deaths of many of the people in these indiginous nations.

Was the US, because of our constitution, "better" than the Native Americans we replaced?

This is what Nationalism does. If you think we are "better" than other nations or cultures or peoples, you don't have to treat them as human beings.

Have you noticed that the "better" nation always seems to be the one with the biggest guns?
TheCobbler

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2019 09:09 am
@maxdancona,
Considering the Indians and many other nations at the time had no written Constitution at all, writing it down was a first step and yes, a lot "better" than none.

The whole purpose of "ideals" is that in the future they may one day be realized.

Shooting each other with arrows and spears was not an ideal plan either.

Europeans did not bring war to the new world, it had existed here long before they arrived.

Striving toward pride in one's nation (and government) is better than accepting and living with national shame.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2019 09:25 am
@TheCobbler,
Quote:
Considering the Indians and many other nations at the time had no written Constitution at all, writing it down was a first step and yes, a lot "better" than none.

I hope you realize the horrible history here... we destroyed the cultures of the Native Americans resulting in the deaths of millions.

Quote:
Striving toward pride in one's nation (and government) is better than accepting and living with national shame.

I strongly disagree.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Define Nationalist
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 10:51:00