Tile glue on bathroom walls

cherrie

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2018 09:50 pm
I've just removed all the tiles from my bathroom walls and am now left with glue on the walls. The only hints I've found to remove it involve soaking a cloth in hot water, placing it on the glue to soften it and then scraping it off. This does work to an extent, but still takes ages because only a small area can be done at a time, and it still needs a lot of scraping. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this quicker and easier? Also, do I need to remove all the glue before re-tiling, or does it just need to be smooth and even?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 729 • Replies: 10
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2018 06:36 am
I suspect Goo Gone would help make the job go faster and easier.
https://googone.com/shop-categories
(I don't work for them or anything)

Don't know the answers to your other questions, though, sorry.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2018 06:40 am
You may need to cut it out and put new backer board, to get a smooth surface.
cherrie

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2018 06:33 pm
@jespah,
Thanks Jespah, I dont think Goo Gone is available in Australia but I found a similar product called - of all things - Goof Off. I'll see if I can get hold of some of that and give it a go.
0 Replies

cherrie

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2018 06:38 pm
@edgarblythe,
Thank you Edgar, I thought about doing that but there's only backing board in the shower. In the rest of the bathroom the tiles have been stuck straight on the walls so the glue needs to come off in one way or another.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2018 08:58 pm
A wallpaper steamer might help. If a warm cloth helps soften the glue then the wallpaper steamer should work much better. They can be had on eBay for about $50 or $60, and even cheaper used.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2018 09:22 pm
How to remove tile adhesive from plasterboard walls

If this one does not fit your project, there are other videos on the topic.
cherrie

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2018 05:47 am
@coluber2001,
That would probably do the job but I don't know that I really want to buy something that I'll only use once, but thanks anyway.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2018 05:49 am
@cherrie,
Try a hair dryer for heat.
cherrie

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2018 05:49 am
@edgarblythe,
That adhesive looks really powdery, what I have is much more gluey. But I'll have a look for other videos and see what I can find.
0 Replies

cherrie

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2018 05:50 am
@edgarblythe,
That's definitely worth a try, I'll give it a go tomorrow.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Tile glue on bathroom walls
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/01/2024 at 04:49:30