Child support for dads

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2018 01:55 pm
My bf has full custody of his daughter and has done for 3 years. His ex wife is a drunk/druggie, she pays nothing towards her daughter and if she asks her to buy anything for her, her mum says she uses her as an atm. Anyway my bf just found out that his ex claimed their daughter as a dependent on her taxes so so now he can’t. He has to pay $2,000 in taxes now. How can she do that when she doesn’t have any expenses from the child. Has anyone dealt with anything like this before?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 152 • Replies: 4
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2018 02:10 pm
@Hlovering,
I would certainly talk to a lawyer. However, this might be a case of empty pockets (it isn't worth suing some one who can't pay you even if you know you will win).

I wonder if he can claim his child on his taxes (if he meets the requirements) and let the IRS go after the ex.

Talk to a lawyer.
Hlovering

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2018 04:26 pm
@maxdancona,
Thank you! He didn’t know she’d claimed her, he only found out when he filed his taxes and they were denied because she had already claimed her as a dependant. He’s gonna get a lawyer, and she doesn’t have much because she always loses jobs due to her drug problems. It’s more the point of it now because he hasn’t asked her for a cent in 3 years, then she does this
maxdancona

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2018 04:45 pm
@Hlovering,
If this were me, I would call the IRS, explain that I am the custodial parent and that I am not receiving any child support. I would say clearly "my ex-wife filed this in error" and that I intend to claim the child on my taxes.

Then I would ask them what I can do to continue with the child on my tax return. I just googled, the non-custodial parent is in the wrong in this case.

He might be able to handle this issue with the IRS without the need for a lawyer. I would be polite, but insistent... and not commit to anything until they said I was correct.

That would be me. It is probably still a good idea to talk to a lawyer (but if all you care about are the taxes... you might not need one).
Hlovering

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2018 05:21 pm
@maxdancona,
Thank you so much for your advice! It’s not really the taxes he’s bothered about, it’s the fact that she pays nothing for her child, then takes the tax money that belonged to my bf and the child. A deadbeat mother who until now they have both just found pathetiv but this is kind of the last straw. He wants to go for child support to kind of say ‘you want to claim her as your child, then act like a mother and support her in some way’. I really do appreciate your help thank you
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Child support for dads
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 04:25:16