Well this is different

Setanta

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2018 09:49 pm
@chai2,
My grandmother never drank, except for egg nog in the holidays. I lived with her for a few years after I got out of the army, and it was like living in a different era. When I started my new job, which was within walking distance, I noticed that she was sullen in the morning before I went to work. I finally asked her about it, and she said something like: "Oh, never mind, I'm sure you have a good time with your friends, going out to lunch, and throwing your money around." I knew her well enough by then to know that what irked her was that I was paying for lunch when I could as easily walk home. So, the next day, I called her to say that my lunch break would be in 30 minutes, and that I'd be home about five minutes after that. She was very happy--after all, she'd done that for her husband for more than 40 years. I got home and she had three poached eggs, perfectly done, home-fried potatoes and sausage links (it was a peace offering, she knew I would eat breakfast at any time of the day or night). It was nothing for me to accommodate her, and I truly loved her, she had raised me and I think loved me in spite of herself. That was completely different from the rest of my family, whom I have not seen now in almost 40 years.

What was amusing, and why i started this rambling story, was the first Thanksgiving weekend that I lived with her. My mother's twin sister was visiting, and my grandmother asked me rather archly if I were going to get anything to "celebrate with" on the weekend. Thinking to myself, "It's your funeral," and so went out and bought a bottle of John Jameson single malt pot still whiskey (which is very strong and which they no longer make). I then went with my friends to a house party. As I later learned, my grand mother, who made everything from scratch, made her typically smooth and rich eggnog, and put that rip-snorting pot still whiskey in it. When I got home, she and my aunt were sitting in the living room giggling like a couple of school girls, and they asked me if I didn't want to help them finish the eggnog. They must have drunk two mugs each, which was a considerable amount of alkeehol for two women who otherwise did not drink. They were cute, and a total hoot.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2018 12:18 am
@chai2,
Don't beat yourself up for what you did/didn't do when you were a kid. Kid's brains aren't the same as adults, they don't reason the same and they're easier to frighten. Everyone feels guilty about something from their childhood.
chai2

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2018 08:07 am
@izzythepush,
Thanks Izzy. You’re right.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2018 08:53 am
@chai2,
I have my moments. What's important is you've moved on, you're in a pretty good place now, and you're a decent person.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 03:01:31