Displacement and velocity

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2018 01:50 pm
Here's the problem: John traveled 40.0 kilometers due west in 9.00 hours and then drove 62.0 kilometers due north in 5.00 hours.

What is the displacement and average velocity? I found how far he traveled to be 102km and the speed to be 7.29 km/hr. But I need help with the displacement and velocity. Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 293 • Replies: 2
No top replies

engineer

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2018 03:32 pm
@anna1918,
How does the teacher want those values presented? Both of those require magnitude and direction. You have the magnitude, you just need the direction. Is the teacher asking for an angle?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2018 03:36 pm
@anna1918,
Engineer is pointing you in the right direction.... let me lead you a little further.

1. You are going to want to draw a picture.
2. I will give you a hint: You calculated the displacement incorrectly
3. I will give you a bigger hint: Pythagorean theorem.
4. The average speed is not going to be the same as the value of the average velocity. The speed is 7.29 km/hr. The average velocity have a lower value than that (if you look at the picture you drew, you will understand why).

When I was teaching, we used the term "tip to tail" when we taught students how to add vectors. I suspect that you either have heard that phrase, or you are about to. It is a very important concept in Physics.

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Displacement and velocity
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 05:59:51