What's Up With The Retro 70s Stuff

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 11:30 pm
Good grief I am watching a TV talk show and the young starlet has not only fish lips but bell bottoms with a low waist and the shoes, I swear she found them at the exact Good Will I donated them to in 1975.

Why is this happening with these young women?

Are the men going to start with the polyester leisure suits again?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,279 • Replies: 19
No top replies

roger

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 11:57 pm
That's it! I want granny glasses.

Ya know, Joanne, the only thing wrong with polyester was the way it was used, leisure suits being a good example. It can actually be made, or blended into a good fabric.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 12:01 am
Well I have been out to shop for Florida clothes and I tell ya Rog it is crazy. I always heard if the current style is similar to something you wore more than 10 years ago you are too old to wear it again.

By the way have you finished your shopping for Florida yet?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 12:08 am
Shopping? Me? I did see a couple of eye burning luau shirts today, but gave them a pass. Not way expensive, but I can't imagine wearing one anywhere or time except day one of the Florida trip, and then just to get under everybody's skin. Some jokes are more expensive than the price.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 01:14 am
Well I have already threatened Misti and Rae that I was bringing lots of cheesy snowbird stuff to wear. And they threatened me back that they would not be seen with me if I bought really bad stuff but a luau shirt, hmmm.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 01:51 am
I wasn't aware polyester ever went "out." There goes three-quarters of my wardrobe. Roger, you want a pair of leather sandals, black knee-high socks, plaid bermuda shorts, and either the luau shirt or a plain white t-shirt. I promise, you'll fit right in.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 04:16 am
Socks, Larry? I have to wear socks if I go to Florida? Let's back up and regroup, okay?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 05:04 am
Rog, it depends upon whether you want to go native or not. Very Happy
But whatever you do don't forget your ukelele!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 07:23 am
Wait a second- ukeleles and luau shirts are Hawaii. If you want Florida (are you listening Rog?) you need pink plaid bermuda shorts! Laughing

By early April, you won't need socks, unless you feel naked without them. I have been wearing sandals for the last two weeks. A pair of white or tan shorts, and some knit shirts in light colors are fine. Around here, cropped pants for ladies are very stylish. If it gets hot, you might want to throw in a sleeveless blouse or shirt.

As for me, I have two levels of clothing- casual and more casual.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 07:29 am
I sooooooooooo never went NEAR a man in a leisure suit!!!! And I abhorred polyester and was little taken with bell-bottoms. I wore nice cotton hippy dresses and jeans and shirts instead!

But I did wear platforms - waitressed in the smeggers and all.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 07:34 am
With older people there is a joke. If you have a old outfit that is out of style, if you wait long enough, it will be stylish again. I think that the trend towards retro cycles evry few decades or so. So now it's the 70's. Now if I had only saved my felt skirt with the velvet appliques on it...............
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 08:14 am
vests.
i always keep my vests.
they keep coming back into style.

palazzo pants seem to keep re-appearing about once a decade as well, but i've done them for the last time - i look too much like a shoebox in them.

i nearly killed myself trying on a pair of pants recently. i didn't realize they were supposed to be low-rise. i'm not built for low-rise. i'm already built too low to the ground.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh platforms, loved my platforms. my favourite pair in 1975 was 5 1/2 inches at the back and 3 /2 inches at the front. i liked to wear with them with my hot pants and tube tops. i can't believe my parents let me wander around in those get-ups.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 09:37 am
I have a flammable acrylic or polyester college sweater from the mid 70s, and I still wear it. im doing a test on long term durability of any fabric that can be made into an explosive device. Never evr fly wearing polyester.

We had a Halloween party this past year and a whole bunch of people came dressed like BArney Miller characters, (ok ya hadda be there)

ive gotta say that Ive never liked sandals-way too gay.

Whats all this with Crock Pots? The way theyre hyping these things youd think that Ronny popeil just invented them..

we gave a couple of crock pots away back in the late 80s cause they make just as much mess in the preparation as does anything else (you have to brown the ribs or the chicken or the onions-thats already 2 pans more) After a while I got sick of eating GLOP. and truly, gLOP is all you get from a crock pot.
0 Replies

chatoyant

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 01:13 pm
I thought bell bottoms were so cool "back then". Just had to have some! Now they look silly to me. I guess age changes thing, not that I'm old or anything. Rolling Eyes

Phoenix32890 wrote:
With older people there is a joke. If you have a old outfit that is out of style, if you wait long enough, it will be stylish again.

The problem here is that in the last 10 years those clothes shrank. How did they do that just hanging in the closet????
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 03:03 pm
Just trying to find my and my wife's clothes from school days ....

Milan fashion sees return to the 1960s

(Honestly, some stuff is in shop windows already!)
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 04:28 pm
My mom had an old saying:

"Hold on to stuff, in 10-20 years it'll come back into style".
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 05:14 pm
chatoyant- I have always had a problem with weight that, let's say, fluctuates a bit. I had bought a great cocktail dress a number of years ago when I had been thin. I then gained some weight, and couldn't wear it. Then I went on yet another diet and tried on the dress.

It fit perfectly. The only problem was that I looked like an absolute jerk in it. It was much too "young" for me.

Oh, about those closets- must be something about the atmosphere in a closed closet that shrinks fabrics! Sad
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 05:26 pm
If we're going back to the 60's for our wardrobe, I'll be wearing ankle socks with ruffles and patent leather Mary Janes with my red corduroy overalls, a t-shirt with snaps at the shoulder, and maybe a bib! Shocked
0 Replies

chatoyant

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 06:08 pm
Phoenix - I've had that problem with dresses too. Or is it that they have a problem with me? Laughing

ehBeth - The overalls, ankle socks, etc. - that could get you a whole lot of attention! But maybe not the kind you'd like!
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 04:31 am
I don't cara, as long as the hair-doos doesn't change....
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What's Up With The Retro 70s Stuff
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 12:02:02