Feeling sentimental today

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 10:13 am
You know how it goes. You are having a perfectly fine morning, and then a song comes on, that hits you like a freight train, and you are lost in memories and reverie. I am feeling frightfully sentimental today, not that that's a bad thing. It's a good thing, it reminds one that he/she still has a heart somewhere. The song that reminded me is Jayhawks - 'All the right reasons', that would so describe me a year ago. (Plus, 'morning star' is a literal translation of 'Dagmar', so i take these lyrics personally, I suspect they must have composed it for me only). So, if you're in a similar disposition, do share your sighs and musings here.

Jayhawks All The Right Reasons lyrics

As I lay upon my bed, I begin dreaming
Of how it's gonna be the day that I am free
Once I settle like the dust upon the table
But then you came along
You helped me write this song
I don't know what day it is,
I can't recall the seasons
And I don't remember how we got this far
All I know is I'm loving you for all the right reasons
In my sky you'll always be my morning star
Like a tired bird flying high across the ocean
I was outside looking in
You made me live again
From the mountains to the prairies little babies
Figures fill their heads
Visions bathed in red
From the train in Manchester, England
Lightning fills the sky
As I watched you wave goodbye
From the mountains to the prairie little babies
Figures fill their heads
Visions bathed in red
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 724 • Replies: 15
No top replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 10:24 am
Isn't that song about screwing?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 10:37 am
well, it is related, i suppose. aren't they all?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 11:21 am
hey! work with me, people. nobody feeling sentimental these days? grrrrrrrrrrrr.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 11:33 am
I could tell you a story about the girl I loved in college if you want. I STILL get all misty-eyed thinking about her every once in a while.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 11:35 am
please, proceed. i need to hear a story like that right now.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 11:45 am
Okay, but I have some of this damn work junk to do. It might be a little while before I can get back here to share.

But I will be back.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 11:46 am
be back. i got to work too, damnit. work should be illegal i think.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 11:48 am
I here songs all the time and get sentimental... especially when I drive by places I used to go when I was younger!!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 12:27 pm
Okay, first a little background...

I had become incredibly close with Shoe, the girl who I always loved the most. During the semester, we had been inseparable...finally. Now that I look back, I see that there were many reasons (which I won't go into here) why the whole thing was probably the worst thing that could have ever happened to me, but at the time, I thought we were both in love with each other.

It had been such a long and arduous struggle for me to get her to even admit to me that she had feelings for me, which is probably why my feelings were all that much stronger for her.

And now, the story itself...

It was the end of the college year, and we were all going back home for the summer. The dorm was a madhouse, with people running all over the place, cars pulling up, people lugging suitcases, hugs and tears and goodbyes all around.

I was running around in a panic, trying to find Shoe, and finally I did. We hugged, relieved at finding each other, in the little alcove in the dorm where the student mailboxes were. There were papers strewn about on the floor, and the madness of mass departures all around.

We hugged, and I looked into her eyes and told her I loved her, which I had only said a couple times before that, and only in the quietest wee hours of the morning, when darkness could protect me.

And she said it back to me, for the first time. I looked at her and her eyes were teary and red, and my heart was overflowing with joy.

"You're crying." I said, as I looked at her through tears of my own.

She laughed and hugged me, saying, "I am not! I have something in my eye!", and in her laugh I heard her sincere sadness at having to leave me. My heart was exploding, and I think my heart probably burst right then, never to recover, even to this day.

And then we said our goodbyes. We hugged one more time, as tight and as long as we could, and we went our separate ways for the summer.

When we returned the next semester, things were never the same, teh feelings on her part had gone away, and eventually it ended in acrimony and heartache for me. But I still remember that day.

Wow, thanks Dag, I almost got a little choked up writing this. In a good way.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 12:35 pm
hmmmm, i know i know. that is exactly how it goes.
i had that moment, too. With E the monster. I spent a year at Bard College, and I think he was absolutely and infinitely in love with me. I was, too, but being in college, i was less serious. we went to slovakia together for the summer, and the last night, before he left, there was that moment, when i saw that his heart was breaking. he was going back to the states, i was staying, things would change. they did. we stayed together for many years after, but it was never so sincere, so deep, so existential. i think you smell what i'm steppin in.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 12:40 pm
I think I have to leave this thread before I start crying.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 12:40 pm
I'm such a sap.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 01:05 pm
nah, kicky. that's why we love you. i think it is trés charmant to be sentimental.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 02:25 pm
I feel sentimental every f*cking day. Everything that got lost.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 12:00 pm
i hope you found it now, nimh :wink:

and i'm back to where i was in 2005 on the day i started this thread. oh well. life.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Feeling sentimental today
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 09:01:00