Agresssive panhandlers

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2018 07:55 pm
I hate that aggressive panhandlers keep asking me for money. They ask for a few dollars now. It takes multiple times with them telling them you don't have it before they walk away angry. This one today waited till I got out of the store and asked me Sad He stands near the store entrance
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 960 • Replies: 9
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2018 08:40 pm
@singlesucks13,
Don't tell them you don't have it. Tell them NO.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2018 08:45 pm
Call a cop if you have to. A situation developed on High Street in Columbus, Ohio, at the Ohio State University campus in which panhandlers became so aggressive that campus police and Columbus police began running them in. The problem cleared up in under two weeks.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2018 10:36 pm
@singlesucks13,
If you want to give something, go ahead.
Otherwise just say no. Then go on about your business.
Linkat

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2018 05:40 am
@Real Music,
That only works if the panhandler is not aggressive - I am guessing at least that the poster is talking about those that do not take no for an answer the first time. If they leave you alone after the first no I agree with you.

There are also situations where is not necessarily easy to go about your business after saying No. I had one panhandler on the subway come up to me and ask me for money. I looked him in the eye and said no sorry. He then went on and said what are you cheap?!! I then said no. I actually bought you a cup a coffee a couple of days ago (which I had). He then proceeded to continue - oh yeah where? I told him specifically where and when. He then said oh thanks.

My co-worker sitting next to me was shocked that I verbally engaged with him in such a way - I only did as I "knew" him. In a sense I have seen him many times and know that he stays at a particular homeless shelter and so forth so I realized he was pretty harmless.

I certainly do not suggest you get in a deep conversation especially when being challenged like that - you do not know who could become violent and who is really just desperate for a little help.
0 Replies

bunnyhabit

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2018 06:22 am
just ignoring is best way to avoid come backs as well as targeting you for stalking and retribution.
Linkat

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2018 06:52 am
@singlesucks13,
singlesucks13 wrote:

I hate that aggressive panhandlers keep asking me for money. They ask for a few dollars now. It takes multiple times with them telling them you don't have it before they walk away angry. This one today waited till I got out of the store and asked me Sad He stands near the store entrance

If this persists - the best way to handle it is to speak to a manager of the store you are going to - if he is being particularly aggressive the store manager will not like it as it will impact his business. There are laws against aggressive panhandling and the store manager could call the local police.

Here is an article I read recently about such aggressive panhandling.

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/City-of-Brockton-Cracks-Down-on-Aggressive-Panhandling-489169361.html
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2018 01:18 pm
@bunnyhabit ,
I pretty much agree. Around here, they usually start with a friendly greeting and tend to mumble. I return a cheerful greeting without eye contact, and just keep on walking.
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2018 06:17 pm
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2018 07:21 pm
I just came back from the grocery store. There is always a panhandler there. The woman who was there tonight gave me this pitiful story and held her hand out. I stared at her for a moment and then said: "No dice, I'm a poor man." She said: "Yeah, me too." I snorted, and told her: "Yeah, I've seen the crew who works this spot. You come here in cabs, and when your shift is over, you leave in a cab." She started in on her spiel very loudly, probably hoping no one else heard me.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Agresssive panhandlers
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 08:42:43