'The Pink Tax'

livinglava

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2018 05:02 am
@Setanta,
You are showing in your posts that you really have no understanding of these conceptual words you're throwing around, and you're shouting to drown out that fact. Universal has nothing to do with homogeneity. 2+2=4 in every language, but that doesn't mean math is understood the same by everyone or that everyone has the same math skills or that the words or symbols for numbers and operations are the same for everyone. Why don't you start by exploring cultural realities on the ground and then we can discuss specifics instead of arguing over the generalizations with no data to refer to?
livinglava

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2018 05:05 am
@glitterbag,
I don't believe you'll miss me. Why would you be so rude and mean as to condescend and say you'll miss me in some kind of passive-aggressive way and then accuse me of being angry or whatever it is you are saying makes me seem like an adolescent to you? Why can't you imagine that if you would just post emotionally-neutral thoughts, I would respond in a non-biased way to you? Does that lack the emotional drama that you crave in discussions?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2018 02:57 pm
@livinglava,
Bullshit--this idiot thread is based upon an assumption on your part of homogeneity in American culture, but when you get cornered on that, you back-peddle furiously. Frankly, I don't consider you to be very bright--you seem to be mired in the culture of 1950s America, and you are definitely a religious bigot. I certain don't need snotty comments from you about what I do or do not understand.

You started this bullshit, and now you're flinging insults around because you cannot support the bullshit you started. You're pathetic.
livinglava

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2018 09:50 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Bullshit--this idiot thread is based upon an assumption on your part of homogeneity in American culture, but when you get cornered on that, you back-peddle furiously. Frankly, I don't consider you to be very bright--you seem to be mired in the culture of 1950s America, and you are definitely a religious bigot. I certain don't need snotty comments from you about what I do or do not understand.

You started this bullshit, and now you're flinging insults around because you cannot support the bullshit you started. You're pathetic.

I have no interest in volleying insults. I don't assume any homogeneity in culture. I understand culture as something that manifests differently at different levels and contexts. Even at the individual level, people have different takes on common cultural understandings.

E.g. two people who think a man should pay when going on a date might still have different reasons for it. The man might think he pays because it is customary and the woman might think it is because he asked her out and if she had asked him out, then she would pay. Someone else might even reject the culture of the person asking paying and they would just think that both people should pay for themselves because they are both choosing to go out together, etc.

So I don't know where you get this idea about homogeneity and the 1950s. I think it is because you subscribe to a pre-2000s Geertzian anthropological view that culture is totally relative and that undermines the possibilities that cultural universality can ever exist, but that is just false because otherwise it would be impossible for someone with one culture to adapt to another culture. In other words, for a speaker of one language to learn another language, there have to be common meanings, which are universal. E.g. in every language it is possible to recognize a dog or a pig as such, and so you just have to learn the word in the new language for 'dog' or 'pig.' You don't have to learn anew what a dog or pig is, because you already recognize the animal, you just don't know the word for it in the target language. And so speakers of both languages have a universal cultural recognize of what a pig is despite giving the pig different names in each language.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2018 01:48 pm
@livinglava,
livinglava wrote:
Products marketed toward women, such as razors and hair care products, cost more than similar products marketed toward men. This seems unfair, but then isn't it also unfair that men spend more on women than vice versa? If men spend money on women, and they are also paying the same for products, then aren't they actually spending more to live than women who are getting effectively subsidized by gifts from men?

Really it is logical that similar products for men and women should cost the same, but it is also logical that men should stop paying for women and women should stop allowing men to spend money on them, but is that likely to happen any time soon?

This is the OP. It is a series of universal statements which clearly assume a cultural homogeneity across the board. You only backed off that when you were getting hit by criticisms. As for flinging insults, if you don't want to be insulted, don't insult others. I certainly don't need the likes of you suggesting that I have trouble understanding things said by the likes of you.
livinglava

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2018 11:21 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

livinglava wrote:
Products marketed toward women, such as razors and hair care products, cost more than similar products marketed toward men. This seems unfair, but then isn't it also unfair that men spend more on women than vice versa? If men spend money on women, and they are also paying the same for products, then aren't they actually spending more to live than women who are getting effectively subsidized by gifts from men?

Really it is logical that similar products for men and women should cost the same, but it is also logical that men should stop paying for women and women should stop allowing men to spend money on them, but is that likely to happen any time soon?

This is the OP. It is a series of universal statements which clearly assume a cultural homogeneity across the board. You only backed off that when you were getting hit by criticisms. As for flinging insults, if you don't want to be insulted, don't insult others. I certainly don't need the likes of you suggesting that I have trouble understanding things said by the likes of you.

You assume the adverb, "always," is implicit in the OP, and that's why you take them as universal statements. If you replace your implicit "always" with "sometimes," or "often," then you will see that they have nothing to do with universality or homogeneity.

Homogeneity never really occurs, but conformism is a cultural ideology that strives toward homogeneity. Still, nothing is every actually homogeneous because homogeneity is an aesthetic interpretation of similarity. In any two things that are perceived as similar, it is also possible to perceive difference, because no two things are alike, e.g. snowflakes.

Universality exists at a deeper level than the superficiality of aesthetics or culturally-specific details. I gave you the example of words for the same thing being different in different languages, but the culture of recognizing that thing outside of language is universal. E.g. 'dog' is a different word than "perro' or 'chien' but people who speak Engish, Spanish, and French can usually recognize dogs and associate certain actions with them, like barking. That is universal cultural even if the languages used to describe the cultural universalities differ.

I hope what I'm saying is clear enough for you to understand the validity of what I'm saying instead of attacking and arguing with me on some level that doesn't apply.
Setanta

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2018 01:24 pm
@livinglava,
It is not my responsibility to assure that your universal statements are not in fact universal. Your rhetorical method is for ****. If you don't qualify your statements, the reader certainly cannot be blamed for taking them as they read. Once again, if you don't want to be attacked for moronic statements, don't make moronic statements about the intelligence of others. Nothing I've seen you post at this site leads me to believe that you are either very bright or very well educated. This thread is a wonderful example of your habit of making assumptions, and then attempting to blame others for the implications thereof. You wrote the OP, you own it, don't try to make out that its faults are the product of some intellectual deficiency in me.
livinglava

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2018 08:05 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

It is not my responsibility to assure that your universal statements are not in fact universal. Your rhetorical method is for ****. If you don't qualify your statements, the reader certainly cannot be blamed for taking them as they read. Once again, if you don't want to be attacked for moronic statements, don't make moronic statements about the intelligence of others. Nothing I've seen you post at this site leads me to believe that you are either very bright or very well educated. This thread is a wonderful example of your habit of making assumptions, and then attempting to blame others for the implications thereof. You wrote the OP, you own it, don't try to make out that its faults are the product of some intellectual deficiency in me.

This post doesn't contain any discussion of any relevant subject matter at this point. It's only insults. So unless you have the ability to discuss anything I've explained further without insulting me, it's time to stop replying to my posts.
Setanta

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2018 08:40 pm
@livinglava,
It's time for you to stop trying to have it both ways. This "pink tax" bullshit is predicated on an assumption of homogeneity in culture. But try to portray yourself as wise and perceptive by acknowledging that culture in this age is not homogeneous. But you still want to forward this "pink tax" bullshit, so you (hilariously) begin talking about a deeper level at which culture is homogeneous. The only think deeper here is the bullshit.
livinglava

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2018 10:42 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

It's time for you to stop trying to have it both ways. This "pink tax" bullshit is predicated on an assumption of homogeneity in culture. But try to portray yourself as wise and perceptive by acknowledging that culture in this age is not homogeneous. But you still want to forward this "pink tax" bullshit, so you (hilariously) begin talking about a deeper level at which culture is homogeneous. The only think deeper here is the bullshit.

Your writing is vague and vulgar. If you want to discuss something, explain your POV and do so without offensive language.
bunnyhabit

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2018 10:45 pm
misogynist woman hater post unworthy of response
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2018 02:21 am
@livinglava,
No, what I have written is accurate. You are attempting on the one hand to forward a narrative which derives from a homogeneous culture in which the imbalances based on gender exist; and on the other hand to allege that there is no such homogeneous culture. Then, to continue your "pink tax" narrative, you allege that there is a "deeper" culture which is homogeneous. Your rhetorical position is a mess. Not my fault, and not a worry for me.
livinglava

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2018 06:53 am
@Setanta,
What I am explaining is empirically valid. Homogeneity and diversity are relative and aesthetic for the most part. Two things can be described as the same/similar or different depending on how you are comparing them. E.g. on one level a burrito and a hamburger look like different foods and on another level they are protein wrapped in bread.

Universality is the bottom line: things like nutritional requirements such as protein, carbohydrates, etc. Protein, carbohydrates, etc. are universal nutrient requirements not only for all humans but also for other animals. They come in different forms, but they are universally needed for health.

Can I explain this any more simply? I think it's pretty clear.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2018 01:32 pm
What is clear is that your initial thesis is bullshit, and that you are now back-peddling furiously, trying to salvage that bullshit. Your condescending tone is hilarious, though. Thanks for the laughs.
livinglava

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2018 04:23 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

What is clear is that your initial thesis is bullshit, and that you are now back-peddling furiously, trying to salvage that bullshit. Your condescending tone is hilarious, though. Thanks for the laughs.

It's too bad. I thought an interesting discussion of culture might be coming. Sorry for sounding condescending. I was trying to raise the level of discussion above vulgarity and naive assumptions.
Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2018 10:06 pm
@livinglava,
Ah . . . I see . . . you mean you were attempting to improve the style and content of your writing?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » 'The Pink Tax'
  3. » Page 4
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/16/2024 at 01:10:53