City government condemning structures.

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2018 03:17 pm
Does it seems shady to you that a city government would condemn a structure and then buy that same property for the value of the land?
Is it even legal?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 910 • Replies: 14
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2018 05:07 pm
A condemned building has no value - in fact, there could be is a liability having the structure there, plus there will be costs to clearing and disposing the building.

Are you suspecting that the government deliberatly and unlawfully condemed a building, in order to put the proprty on the market?
coluber2001

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2018 05:49 pm
@PUNKEY,
Would it be a conflict of interest for a city government to condemn the structure and then buy the property for the value of the land alone?
roger

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2018 05:56 pm
@coluber2001,
I'm uncomfortable with the concept. Is the structure clearly worthy of condemnation?
coluber2001

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2018 06:27 pm
@roger,
There was a house across the street that apparently was infested with termites. My neighbor told me that the city condemned it then bought the property and uses it for landfill.

It just doesn't seem proper, if just for appearance sake, that a city would condemn a property and then buy it.
It seems that they could open themselves up to all kinds of legal ramifications, especially lawsuits.
roger

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2018 08:36 pm
@coluber2001,
It would be hard to consider the city to be an uninterested party.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2018 10:30 am
@coluber2001,
coluber2001 wrote:

Is it even legal?

You never heard of eminent domain? It's legal if it's done via the appropriate channels.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2018 10:33 am
@coluber2001,
coluber2001 wrote:

Would it be a conflict of interest for a city government to condemn the structure and then buy the property for the value of the land alone?

Not if they're keeping the property from private developers because of some kind of remaining hazard(s) that would endanger future occupiers of said new structure/building.

Some skeezy building management might find it simple to leave off the land lot's sketchy history and still charge market rate for profit's sake if they can buy the available land and construct unimpeded on it as well.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2018 10:38 am
@coluber2001,
coluber2001 wrote:

It seems that they could open themselves up to all kinds of legal ramifications, especially lawsuits.

Not sure where you pulling this legalese nonsense out of... unless you have some kind of insider information that may hint or directly expose those members of the city admin who are doing this for personal profit.

0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2018 10:49 am
@tsarstepan,
There was no eminent domain involved. It is now simply an empty lot in a residential neighborhood. The city uses it to store dirt, fill material, which shouldn't be in a residential neighborhood anyway because of the dust problems during a drought.

There was no remaining hazard. It was simply a case of termite infestation, something not rare in Texas. I haven't been in the house, but it looked structurally sound from the outside. Last year a new roof was put on. The old lady who owned it was in a rest home, and her children took control of it, and apparently just wanted to get shed of it anyway.

But the point is it looks kind of sleazy for a city to be doing this, and possibly marginally illegal.

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2018 11:00 am
@coluber2001,
Same principal. If they have the right to seize by eminent domain (used when the property owner refuses to sell)? They also have the right to buy land ... especially if the seller is willing to sell. Time and time again, municipal/city/state governments can buy land and property to do what they see fit. The Supreme Court has validated these practices several times.

Quote:
and possibly marginally illegal

You're pulling this nonsense out your ass. CITE YOUR SOURCES already.
coluber2001

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2018 11:13 am
@tsarstepan,
I'm not saying the city doesn't have the right to buy land, it does. I'm saying that it just doesn't look good to condemn a property, which drastically reduces the value, and then buy it.

And I'm asking questions, not making statements. There's no reason for you to get defensive.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2018 11:25 am
@coluber2001,
coluber2001 wrote:

I'm not saying the city doesn't have the right to buy land, it does. I'm saying that it just doesn't look good to condemn a property, which drastically reduces the value, and then buy it.

Doesn't look good isn't the same as being an illegal act. As expected, I believe you're reading TOO much into my posts. I am not a fan of eminent domain (and municipal govs, etc... taking/buying property usually at lower rates than the landowner deserves... because the city has leverage). I'm just saying ... they can do legally it (regardless of the moral or ethical implications).

If an act isn't legal than that party doesn't have a right to act it out. Acts they shouldn't do isn't the same as acts they aren't legally allowed to do. That's not semantics. That's just legal everyday life.

And I'm sure there is no such thing as marginally illegal. Either its legal or illegal. Not sure if there is some kind of judicial middle ground.
coluber2001

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2018 11:34 am
@tsarstepan,
I think marginally unethical might be a better term.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2018 11:37 am
@coluber2001,
coluber2001 wrote:

I think marginally unethical might be a better term.

Then we are definitely in agreement. Your city gov. is filled with crusty, chewy, nougaty bastards. Surprised
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » City government condemning structures.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/01/2024 at 12:25:24