Adding a new variable to a regression model makes other independent variable insignificant

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2018 11:23 am
Hello, as a robustness check for my regression result i add a new variable to my multiple regression model explaining abnormal performance around CEO turnovers. The new variable is a dummy, which equals 1 if the CEO depart involuntary and during a period of crisis. However after adding it, my initial dummy, which shows the effect of an involuntary departure is no longer significant. What means that for me? Is it due to multicolinearity between the two dummies? Can i say than my results are robust ( all other independent variables have the same sign and significance levels) or not?

Can you help me?
Thanks!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 759 • Replies: 1
No top replies

engineer

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2018 11:58 am
@Nickinicki,
Nickinicki wrote:

Is it due to multicolinearity between the two dummies?

Almost certainly. I suggest your second dummy variable equals 1 during a period of crisis so it doesn't overlap so significantly with your original variable. Without seeing your full model, I can't comment on the other variables.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Adding a new variable to a regression model makes other independent variable insignificant
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 11:51:48