Looking For A Book About A Native Tribe in Central/South America circa 50s

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 01:02 pm
Hello from Nova Scotia, Canada.

In the 1980s I read a book by a Cornell academic regarding a native subsistence tribe in either Central or South America. This book was probably written in the late 40s or 50s. As I recall, this book was considered “revolutionary” at the time in that it brought the practice of anthropology to the layman. I would like to reread this book and would like to know the author and title if possible.

I recall two vivid items from the book:

If any honey was found either by male or female, the honey would not be immediately consumed but would be fermented and there would be a party which usually ended by someone being thrown into the fire. The party was attended by only males or females depending upon which had found the honey.

Hammocks were highly prized but if someone died in their hammock, it could not be used. Therefore, in many cases, a dying person was removed from their hammock just before death in order that the hammock could be recycled.

Thanks.

Peter
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 725 • Replies: 0
No top replies

1. Forums
  2. » Looking For A Book About A Native Tribe in Central/South America circa 50s
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 12:27:08