The "kitchenless" house

chai2

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2018 06:59 pm
@chai2,
ok, new question....

If there was one room in the house you could simplify, even eliminate, which would it be?

hmmmm. I know a lot of people use their garages, but a lot of people don't, and use them for storage. Which storage for things is cool, except when it's a result of mindless consuming.

A separate dining room is pretty useless. Better to be used as an office, bedroom, escape pod from life, etc.

Maybe those walk in closets that are literally the size of the bedroom 2 sisters and I shared growing up?

Hey, don't get me wrong. I definately have ideas about the size of certain rooms. Bedrooms for instance. Maybe because I grew up sleeping in one the size of some of todays walk in closets, I tend to like large bedrooms. I like the thought of a bed area, and a space big enough to an armchair or 2, or even a sofa.

If I were to design my fantasy bathroom that I would be responsible for cleaning, the toilet would be quite far away from any other vertical area. I am sick and tired of having to get down with my face near the place you take a crap to reach back to clean the sides and back area of the commode. So, a few extra square feet added to the bathroom. I would give up kitchen space for that luxury any day.

Also, I would eliminate that goddamn part of the toilet that has that curvy area with indentations that serves absolutely no purpose.

I'd get one of those standing toilet paper holders I could move out of the way when cleaning, and be able to actually walk around the thing to clean it.

As long as the bathroom is made bigger, add in another couple square feet for a decent size tub to soak in.

But I get it that for some people the bathroom is strictly a place to relieve themselves, or get clean.

I wouldn't be lazing around in the tub with candles and wine, but I wouldn't mind the space to friggin move around so I can clean the thing, or take a hot bath on a cold day and be able to stretch out.

Reminds me of that thread about the Japanese bathroom that have drains in them so you can just hose them down. Yea baby.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2018 07:07 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
add in another couple square feet for a decent size tub to soak in.

I'd get rid of the tub if I could afford the entire reno cost that would result.

I regret not having it removed when I first moved here. I would have put in a walk-in shower. I wanted it then. Still do. My mother and the contractor really pushed me to keep the tub. I'm still holding a grudge about that.

I haven't used a bathtub as a tub for over 40 years. Bath water always seemed dirty to me and I had to shower after every bath. Drove my mother nuts when I was a kid. She'd draw me a bath. I'd swish around in it, pull the plug and take a shower What a waste of water, time and space - for me.
jcboy

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2018 07:10 pm
I love my kitchen, probably spend more time in that room than any other. Besides their five mouths to feed in this house, better keep the stove hot! Razz
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2018 07:14 pm
@chai2,
toilets should look like this or similar.

http://www.bathkitchenandbeyond.com/images/D/toilet-ariel-co1024.jpg

Whoever designed this one should be executed.

https://inspectapedia.com/plumbing/Toilet_Top_Flush023_DJFs.jpg
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2018 07:29 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

I'd get rid of the tub if I could afford the entire reno cost that would result.

I regret not having it removed when I first moved here. I would have put in a walk-in shower. I wanted it then. Still do. My mother and the contractor really pushed me to keep the tub. I'm still holding a grudge about that.

Actually, I really get that.

In the tub I have here, if I want to bathe, I first clean out the tub with Comet, then I shower, only then to I take a bath.

Obviously I don't do that often. Too much water waste.

In Mexico, I feel really fortunate re the soaking situation. I do have showers (nice big walk in ones) in both the bathrooms, no tubs at all.
HOWEVER, and I write that in caps because I get giddy every time I think about it....I have a haven to go to to soak to my hearts content.

There's a place not far that has a natural spring pool Way Way bigger than olymic size pool. It's huge. The overall temp of the pool is fine for swimming because it's such a big surface area. If you walk along the sides of the pool, you come across a vent from which gushes water from the hot springs. Almost too hot if you're right against it. Next to the pool is a really big hot tub, but obviously small enough that the water remains hot. It is total heaven.

The fee for a 5 year membership for 2 people? $500 USD, 10,000 pesos. There's a cabana bar where they will bring you beverages and snacks, but during the week they don't mind if you bring your own bottled water to stay hydrated. Weekend's there're more guests, as the place is part of a larger resort maybe a mile away. It get so busy on the weekends, there may be up to 10 people in the pool, all at the same time. Laughing

The place is closed every Tuesday to drain clean and refill. The water drained just goes right back into the natural springs.
0 Replies

happywheelsunblocked

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2018 10:59 pm
@roger,
lol
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/16/2024 at 01:04:38