Can you answer my legal question?

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2018 06:32 pm
So my grandma is trying to move to Florida within the next four months. I will be 15 next month and im going to school this month because summer break is ending. I dont want to move because I have anxiety issues with change or really anything that I dont feel comfortable with. I'm wondering if I have a say in wether I have to move or not. I have talked to someone that I have known since I was a baby and he is like an uncle to me, would he be able to get long term or permanant guardianship of me? DO I have a say?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 374 • Replies: 4
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2018 07:17 pm
@phillipsc11,
Hmmm... I am not qualified to give legal advice (I don't think anyone can give good legal advice over the internet). I will give my thoughts as a hopefully helpful adult.

1. You should find a counselor, a real adult professional counselor, who can give you real advice. Is there a counselor at your school you can go to? That is where I would start.

2. I don't know anything about this person who is like an uncle to you, it is really difficult for me to judge if he is a responsible person. If he is responsible, you should tell him what you would like.

If a 15 year old came to me with this request, the first thing I would do is find out what the issues were. The second thing I would do is get them counseling or legal support.

3. You have between 2 and 3 years of childhood left. Then you are a legal adult (which means that you will have the legal right to make this decision). You may have to wait... but it is not that long to wait. Be patient; do what you can now to make your life better... and accept the things you can't change right now.

The most important thing is for you to get counseling. They will be able to help you make a plan, and to get legal help if that is what is best.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2018 07:19 pm
Your grandma is your kegal guardian ?

If so, and you want to change legal guardian, then you must petition to change it.

But it’s not going to look good for an non relative “ uncle- like “ guy wants to take in a 15 year old.

Any other relatives in the picture?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2018 07:23 pm
In New Mexico, there two kinds of guardianship (and only two). They are kinship and corporate (professional guardians). Other states may differ, but here 'like an uncle' would not meet the standard.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2018 05:37 am
@phillipsc11,
First things firs, yes, your opinion matters.

Having said that, it's not the ONLY factor in deciding where and who you live with. Since change IS coming, whether you move with Grandma or your long time family friend, you're going to experience some sort of anxiety either way.

I think it would be best to reconsider your position about moving with Grandma. She knows you, loves you and can help you through the transition. I'm not saying "uncle" can't, I'm just saying she's been your rock, lean on her when the anxiety seems too much.

There's a lot that goes into changing guardianship. Not that it can't happen, it's more, do you really WANT that?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Can you answer my legal question?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 04:02:36