Need help doing basic physics calculations

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2018 04:45 am
Can someone calculate the approximate impact on the earth (as in a mining explosion), of 1 ton of dynamite.
And also the equivalent impact of say a 1 ton rock dropped from 10 meters.

Trying to estimate this for writing purposes, I very roughly got:

Impact of 1 ton of dynamite, Work = approx 1/2 megawatt.
Equivalent dropping a 1 ton rock 10 meters, approx 2/3 megawatt. Probably way off.

I didn't work very long at this and as I'll never be confident of getting the answer right, thought I'd ask some people in the know.

Appreciate any feedback.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 231 • Replies: 3
No top replies

engineer

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2018 01:12 pm
@hillaryfail-itwasme,
I ton of TNT is defined as 4.184 gigajoules. I know you asked for dynamite, but TNT is a standard unit. You can Google the difference if you want.

One metric ton (1000kg) 10 meters in the air has potential energy equal to (1000kg)*10m*9.8m/sec^2 = 98,000 kg.m^2/sec^2 = 98 kJ
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2018 01:28 pm
@hillaryfail-itwasme,
Engineer is correct.

You should also be careful. A watt is not a unit of work. A watt is a unit of power (how quickly something is doing work).

It doesn't make any sense to say that the work is 1/2 megawatt. That would be like saying that the distance between Boston and New York is 65 mph. That is the reason that Engineer gave his answer in Joules (which is a unit of work).
0 Replies

hillaryfail-itwasme

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2018 03:46 am
Thanks guys.
Problem solved. I guess it would take dropping a rock over 1000 tons to create a seismic shock wave as strong as 1 ton dynamite. So not plausible for my story purpose.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Need help doing basic physics calculations
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/11/2024 at 10:30:57