Global / American Suicide Rates

Lash

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2018 10:06 am
News of recent suicides Anthony Bourdain and Kate Spade arrive with new, more urgent statistics about increasing suicide rates globally and in America.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2018/06/07/617897261/cdc-u-s-suicide-rates-have-climbed-dramatically

Suicide rates have increased in nearly every state over the past two decades, and half of the states have seen suicide rates go up more than 30 percent.

Suicide is a major public health issue, accounting for nearly 45,000 deaths in 2016 alone. That is why the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta decided to take a comprehensive look at suicides from 1999 to 2016.

"Suicide in this country really is a problem that is impacted by so many factors. It's not just a mental health concern," says Deborah Stone, a behavioral scientist at the CDC and the lead author of the new study. "There are many different circumstances and factors that contribute to suicide. And so that's one of the things that this study really shows us. It points to the need for a comprehensive approach to prevention."

She and her colleagues collected data on suicides from every state. In addition, to better understand the circumstances surrounding suicide, they turned to more detailed information collected by 27 states on suicides that occurred in 2015.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 551 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Lash

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2018 10:07 am
Wonder why.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2018 10:43 am
@Lash,
I think the lifestyle in the US is probably more stressful than some other places. The US culture also seems to value (and allow) for individual isolation. In my opinion, human beings are less stable when isolated. Having constant group exposure seems to moderate extremes in behavior. So partly, excessive wealth allow for isolation. This is my anecdotal impression. I have no data to back it up.
Lash

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2018 10:56 am
@rosborne979,
No worries. At this point, everybody’s speculating. I think your comments have merit.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2018 12:23 pm
@Lash,
When looking deeper into how countries across the planet were doing, I did notice that there are other places too, which, have had increases. Albeit not as much as the U.S.; However, it's occurring.

Focussing in on the U.S. though, the reasons are many. Some right in front of our eyes. Yes, I'm referring to the computers and smartphones. They have not only brought about isolation; they have also brought cyber-bullying. A number of people here in the U.S. left notes indicating that was the deciding factor.

Of course there is also the constant need to try and keep up with everyone else. Not to mention the shaming which takes place if a person fails to do so. Shaming of course is a form of bullying.

Increased drug usage, both legal and the illicit. Those tiny little pills screw with the brain and thinking. They clear away our freedom. They take away our realization that there are family and friends who care. People who will be devastated by the sudden loss.

Some medications prescribed to battle depression have the deadly side-effect. Cymbalta for example can increase suicidal ideations for some. That one of i know of personally as it was prescribed for me for a separate medical matter.

Then there is the continued discussion of physician assisted suicide for health reasons. A person near the ledge, may figure if it's acceptable for a person with a terminal illness or who has a handicap or sustained injury making their quality of life so dreadful, then they too should have such a right. To the suicidal person, the mental pain they are enduring is just as life altering.

Wanting to get out of the world on one's own terms, before the world kills them.

So many reasons. To answer the question of 'why?', I can only say, I wish I knew and that everyone else did as well. Maybe then, it could be worked on.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2018 04:55 am
Over worked, underpaid, feeling unappreciated.

I also agree that smart phones and overstimulation play a part in this.

Suicide is rarely the answer. I would be so pissed if any of my friends chose that path.
Lash

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2018 05:43 am
Some recent data re American suicide trends.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/to-your-health/wp/2018/06/07/u-s-suicide-rates-rise-sharply-across-the-country-new-report-shows/

Suicide rates rise sharply across the United States, new report shows
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2018 05:46 am
I suspect there are as many answers to the question of "why" as there are individual acts of suicide. Somehow the calculus of "why/why not" gets tipped and people choose termination over continued suffering. The report states that over half of the victims "were not known to have mental health conditions"; remember this when you hear the predictable calls to "increase mental health services".
Quote:
Relationship, substance use, health, and job or financial problems are among the other circumstances contributing to suicide.

None of these problems are "new" but they all seem to have become more toxic. It's as if the coping mechanisms that allow people to deal with the cognitive dissonance of alienation. The cosmetic veneer is being rubbed rather thin.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2018 12:59 pm
How Suicide Quietly Morphed Into a Public Health Crisis
0 Replies

Agent1741

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2018 12:50 pm
@McGentrix,
This rat race we call a life here is a big part of it I believe, many are way to busy chasing there tails to have time or notice what's going on with people or to do anything about it!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Global / American Suicide Rates
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 03:50:14