Is containment of Iraq a viable option?

sumac

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 01:43 pm
I have missed out on some crucial discussions on the concept of containment by coming late into the political forums.

I am asking for a discussion of the idea of containment. Is it still possible in this technological age? With super simple weaponry of biological and chemical compounds? In a totalitarian society? Specifically, in Iraq?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,050 • Replies: 23
No top replies

steissd

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 01:57 pm
Of course, this is not possible. Iraqi society is a closed one, and Saddam, if remained at power may provide a necessary level of secrecy if he renews his chemical and biological weapons programs.
On this particular stage it is impossible to prevent war. If Saddam is not toppled now, it will be a sign to all the rogue regimes throughout the world: the USA is able only to threaten and to demonstrate its military power, but is reluctant or unable to act. This will encourage the dictators to continue with their dangerous activities.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 04:10 pm
It's not possible because Shrub can't buoy his shrinking ability to govern on the crest of any "victory" through containment. Having presided over the dismantling of the greatest economic boom in history, and having failed despite his vows to the contrary to bring al Qaeda to justice, only a parade through downtown Baghdad will assure (in his mind, anyway) his place in posterity and of course his reelection. That a few people might have to die along the way to accomplish this is merely a regrettable but minor inconvenience.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 04:12 pm
Steissd:

I agree with you.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 04:20 pm
OK, that is politics etc. on the macro level. Let's take it down a notch.

If containment means preventing Saddam from doing anything bad, i.e., attacking neighbors, selling or giving away his bio and chem weapons, giving away his production technology information, training others on how to manufacture and use the same.........is this possible?

My gut instinct is that it is not. Then why do people continue to use the concept as a reason to not act, now?
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 04:29 pm
Because the military industrial complex in the US is so mighty it needs an enemy. I remember the same issues discussed in the Viet Nam war, we had to contain communism, remember the domino theory. One thing I objected to then and object to now is that the Viet Namese were called uncivilized the same thing our government officials call the Iraqis. Seems we the people have to stir up a lot of hate to make war and we do that by holding ourselves above others.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 05:04 pm
blacksmithn wrote:
Having presided over the dismantling of the greatest economic boom in history...

Dismantling of the economic boom happened due to plummeting of the high-tech shares in NASDAQ. This triggered the negative processes in economy, and these continued developing on their own, using simple positive feedback mechanisms.
Crisis occurred since the software and telecommunications markets' capacity was overestimated, the shares' prices were above their real value, and this bubble could not avoid explosion. "Creative accountance and audit" tricks, that seriously affected investors' trust in large companies were not introduced after the last presidential elections, they took place for years. Mr. Bush has not done anything to provoke the current crisis, he merely had a bad luck to be a President when it occurred. If he lost the elections, such a crisis would occur in tenure of Mr. Gore.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 05:06 pm
In response to the question of the thread (i'm not going to continue to argue with nonsensical militaristic points of view):

Certainly it is, and it is an option this adminsitration won't even give a passing glance.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 05:09 pm
sumac, in order for containment to work, the containee must aquiesce to, if not necessarily cooperate with the proposed containment. Absent open, unconditional, wholehearted cooperation in the matter on the part of the containee, the containment may be accomplished only by sufficient credible and immediate threat of force as required to force the containment.
"Peacekeeping" forces on the order of the currently assembled invasion force, capable of and charged with policing the minutest details of civil and military administration, would be required to "contain" Iraq. Even given that, consider by analogy the drug situation in even the most developed of nations; the determined criminal, with far fewer resources and much less sophistication than the governments which oppose them manage to thrive under cover. A government with a largely trackless territory twice the size of Idaho and with governmental-level resources, including well developed clandestine high-level infrastructure may logically be anticipated to be able to fare at least as well as, if not significantly better than common criminals. "Containment" is IMHO a totally bankrupt notion in today's world. Are the Palestinians not "Contained"? The Chechnyans?

Should the current forces about Iraq be withdrawn, a few lightly armed, blue-helmeted heroes without heavy weapons, artillery, armor, air, and naval support run the very real and demonstrated risk of becoming hostages if not corpses should they be opposed by a determined and better-equipped military, and such a development could occur in mere minutes. It would be criminally irresponsible for The UN or any other entity to place troops in such obvious danger. Saddam's own past behavior gives no cause whatsoever to assume he would long suffer essentially unsupported foreign meddling in his affairs, but rather indicates he would revert to prior conduct as soon as he felt circumstances precluded immediate substantive retaliatory military sanction.

While "Contained", numerous nations, among them Iraq, have surreptitiously developed or expanded their unconventional weapons capability. Containment does little more than "Forward-Shift" the necessity of settling the matter conclusively, often with utmost, urgent, expensive resolution. The Iraq situation, as has been the Middle East situation in general, has been getting "Forward Shifted" for over two decades.

At this point, in the Iraq matter, the questions of "Containment", "Pacificism", and "Inspections" are moot. If the concept of "Containment" had any validity, the "Containment" of Irag over the past decade and more would have precluded the current crisis. The crisis has not been precluded, it is upon us. Iraq has been "Contained" and "Sanctioned" unrelentingly, and remains in defiance of and active opposition to his obligations. For this reason, it is necessary to exercize the remaining option in the interest of resolving the situation. That's my take on it, anyway.

timber
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 05:21 pm
The only way Iraq could be truely contained would be to entirely surround the country and perfom detailed searches of every single item and person entering and exiting. To do so would require the cooperation of every bordering state along with the deployment of adequate resources to effectively seal off all the borders.

Iraq has 3,631 km of land border which would have to be totally sealed along with 58 km of sea coast. To do that you'd need better than 600,000 people guarding borders 24 hours a day/7days a week until whatever the threat is subsides. Slightly more than 1,400 km of that land border is between Iraq and Iran. What are the odds Iran is going to allow any UN or other forces to seal that border for several years?

People are screaming right now about the cost of putting 200,000 men in the middle-east for a possible invasion of Iraq that won't take but a few months. Multiply that cost by a factor of 3 and then maintain that cost over years (or decades) instead of months.

Containment is neither practical nor politically feasible.
0 Replies

Slimmerson

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 05:35 pm
Containment is a fallacy projected by the Liberal Democrats in hopes that someone would believe they had a better idea.
Containing Sadaam would be like trying to corral 10 pounds of liquid mercury, or maybe like tyring to contain diarrhea after eating a dozen ripe plums.
There is no containment, like ant murderer he should be sentenced to die and the sooner it is carried out the better for all of the free world.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 05:37 pm
Yawn.

Yeah, after all, it only worked for 11 years. Some fallacy.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 05:40 pm
Did it work? IMHO, Iraq managed to continue its non-conventional programs despite of all the containment efforts.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 05:55 pm
Saddam is a political survivor from long ago. If any of his dirty little weapons get out of Iraq, it'll be spotted just as soon as anyone tries to use them. He has suppressed, tortured and murdered Sunnis as well as Shi'ites, and has no friends among the truly devout muslims of the world, although he is admired throughout the muslim world for his stand against America (don't laugh, just because you find him ridiculous doesn't mean the muslim "man on the street" feels the same way). The attempts to link him to fundamentalist terrorism are absurd, and not a one has been sustained. He has been effectively contained, and Steissd's response is a non sequitur. Who cares how many nasties he comes up with, the first time he uses them, or passes them out to someone who does, he's toast, and he knows it. I'm getting really sick of the militaristic, self-serving crap of those who think guns and bombs are the only solutions to such problems.

I'm also getting sick of this lame web site. I have to try several times just to get in here every time i come. This is my third attempt to post this--if this doesn't work, i'll e-mail it to Lovey and ask her to post it. This place boots me out after every second post, and i have to try five or six times to get back in. I've had it with this place, it's been nice given the wonderful clientele, but it ceased to be fun a long time ago . . .

Bye, and this time, i mean it . . .

Your erstwhile friend and companion, John Kelly
0 Replies

angie

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 06:00 pm
I think the US could and would get multilateral support for containment, which would lessen our costs in both dollars and in terms of world opinion.

I have a very uneasy feeling about going in with guns a blazin'. I think it's completely off base to think we will be welcomed as liberators by the Iraqi people. This is not WWII. Rather, we might very well be perceived as arrogant, rich, western, Christian, pro-Israeli, anti-Muslim invaders. This perception, right or wrong, will make for some pretty tense and dangerous post-war activity and feed the ranks of terrorists all over the world for years to come.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 06:06 pm
Terrorists do not need justifications to attack the Western countries. Remember, the attack on the WTC happened long before plans of President Bush regarding Iraq became public. And embassies in Kenya and Tanzania were exploded when the President was Mr. Clinton, who was known as a supporter of the peace process in the Middle East and of the creation of the independent Palestinian state. Terror attacks are in their essence a hate crime, and these do not need rational justification.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 06:06 pm
Containment and deterrence worked with Russia and China. But all that containment and creation of a nuclear arsenal was not what worked to change the picture it was economic necessity that brought down the wall. The CIA spends most of its money on tracking weather forecasts and crop production. Why because food and hunger are the cause of war when you have nothing to lose becoming a human bomb is the better alternative. Just like dealing drugs even if it means a short career is a better alternative to working for minimum wage at the McDonalds.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 06:14 pm
I've also experienced numerous difficulties today. The following are my postings since the beginning of February that I believe are relevant here. I've interspersed some current comments between the <>

This first quote isn't exactly on point. The doomsday scenarios are everywhere, this scenario is more upbeat but has a cautionary side that I believe IS relevant to this thread.

Quote:
Scenarios are interesting and can be somewhat useful to decision makers. The downside is that too often they are based more upon wishful thinking, either optimism or pessimism, than upon careful analysis. Scenarios projecting events with a narrow focus and small numbers of variables over very short time spans can be extremely accurate Scenarios involving human organizations tend to be much less accurate, especially when forecasting complex events arising from sets having many variables far into the future. Scenarios, such as the outcomes of a military operation in Southwest Asia, are even more difficult to get right. Not all data necessary to good analysis is available, even to insiders. The number of decision-points is overwhelming and they grow at a geometric rate as the time-line increases. The bottom-line is that all outcome scenarios presented for this set are flawed, and probability for accuracy is low. Normally, I like a confidence level of 90% before heartily endorsing a forecast. Here that level of confidence is not possible.

There have been several scenarios already presented here. One forecast is that WWIII seems to suggest mega-deaths and virtual victory for radical Islamic fundamentalism. Edgar's scenario is, I think, more probable. So here is an alternate, rosier scenario.

1. Evidence damning Saddam as a threat to world peace will be presented to the United Nations, and made public during the week of 05FEB. <Many were disappointed that Colin Powell's evidence was not more dramatic, and damning> The evidence will come from signals intercepts, surveillance photos, and from high-level Iraqi defectors. Some of the evidence presented will reveal materials (sources and means) that will compromise future intelligence gathering. <I don't think any sources and means were revealed> Another UN Resolution explicitly authorizing military action will be introduced, but may be vetoed <We're still waiting on that one>. The number of defectors will increase after 05FEB, though not all will be revealed to the public. The number of governments supporting military force will increase, though some will remain reluctant allies - especially in public. Saddam will deny everything, and there will be a number of executions of defector's families. Some agents for Allied forces will be discovered and executed. I expect some executions have already occurred, and the rate will increase right up to the fall of Saddam. <Nothing of the sort has been reported in non-classified sources>

2. Military operations will commence, probably before 09MAR. <Some believe that operations may now be delayed until closer to Mid-March. Maybe, but I still think early March is more likely.> The probable outcome of that has already been discussed in detail here. Items 1 and 2, I think are reasonably high probable outcomes, from here on the probabilities drop considerably because the number of decision-points and uncontrolled, even unknown, variables go way out there. The following are my best guesses, but they are strongly colored by my own biases and expectations. <The following projections are still below the horizon>

3. Many, perhaps most, Iraqi's will greet the United States as liberators, but some die-hard elements of the Ba'ath party will remain dangerous. There will be several efforts to divide Iraq so as to create an independent Kurdistan, and a Shia Kingdom in the south. The Kurds have a better chance of success, but I think their efforts for independence will fail again. The Kurdish independence movement may become more unified, and outbreaks of violence and Kurdish terrorism inside Iraq, Turkey and Syria might increase. I think that if the Kurds go that route they will be making a mistake. The world may well sympathize with the Kurds, especially if local political conditions deny them independence. To utilize terror tactics would cost the Kurds world sympathy and hurt their cause.

4. I expect that an American Military Governor will be appointed, and that Allied forces will deter any efforts by Syria or Iran to encroach upon Iraqi borders. The UN will be invited to participate in the occupation and reconstruction of Iraq into a more pluralistic State. Contingents from UN nations will supplement US occupation forces, hopefully sizable numbers of those forces will come from Iraq's neighbors having large Islamic populations. A new Iraqi Constitution will be drafted separating Church and State, and ratified by a plebiscite monitored by the UN. Oil revenues will be held in trust for Iraqi People and the rebuilding Iraq.

5. North Korea will continue to bluster, and demand direct talks with the United States. The North Korean nuclear arsenal will double according to Intelligence estimates. South Korean public opinion will become more pro-American as DPRK rhetoric and nuclear capabilities grow. American strength in theater will increase, and the American diplomatic position more deeply entrenched. The DPRK will back-down and publicly dismantle its nuclear program, while continuing its efforts in secret. The Korean stalemate will be allowed to continue. Kim will die, and his designated successor, his son will come to power. There will be a quiet period as the new Kim consolidates his power, and then he will begin talking peace and reunification. Some will believe him, but he will actually continue his father and grandfather's basic policies.

6. China will increase its efforts to exercise regional power. Chinese military forces will remain large, but there will be increased efforts to modernize. The Chinese nuclear arsenal will increase in size and capability. Chinese intelligence efforts will increase, especially targeting US military technology.

7. The ISI will lead a popular coupe in Pakistan. Incidents along the Pakistani/Indian lines will increase in frequency and seriousness. Open hostilities will breakout, and Indian forces will drive deep into Pakistan. A Pakistani commander will launch a tactical nuclear missile and India will respond immediately with a nuclear strike on the Pakistani capitol. The UN will finally awaken, and demand a cease-fire. Pakistan will immediately stand down, though India will be more resistant to "outside interference". The world will be horrified, and shocked. The international Peace Movement will be strengthened, and there will be a demand that all nuclear weapons be outlawed and destroyed. The Untied States and China will veto a UN resolution outlawing nuclear munitions.

8. Another terrorist attack comparable to 911 will be made on American soil. I expect the attack to be focused on a seaport, and that considerable damage will occur. The casualty count will depend upon the type, location and timing of the attack. Casualties could be very high, perhaps larger than at the Twin Towers. American sentiment for retaliation in kind will be very high, but it will be difficult to find a culprit. Syria, Iran, and other Islamic countries will be highly suspect, but they will deny it and proof of their culpability will be weak. Anti-Muslim sentiment will harden within the United States, and the Bush administration will be hard pressed between trying to protect our Muslim citizens and the demands that they be expelled from the country. It is possible that Bush will suspend Habeas Corpus, but that is a two edged sword. Internal security will continue and will generally be accepted and approved of by most citizens. The danger to individual liberty from security efforts to protect the nation from terrorist acts will continue to exist, but most people will not object strongly to measures that in the past would have set off a fire-storm of protest.

Items 3 and 8 could be wildly wrong, but I assess the probability three out of the six items will occur substantially as forecast is somewhere around 60:40, perhaps as high as 70:30. These are not hard numbers, only estimates and are arrived at by making best guesses at what I believe will be the most likely decision-points.

9. Bush will not be re-elected. Historically Presidents who come into office under disputed circumstances are unable to be elected to a second term. Cheney will not be on the re-election ticket. Rice will continue as the Shrubs closest intimate, and Rumsfeld will continue as Secretary of Defense. Powell may step down to pursue other interests, and could conceivably challenge Bush for the Presidency. The nation's economy will continue to be problematical. I expect the DOW to continue to swing drastically from a high around 8900 to a low of around 7600. The cost of the Iraqi campaign, its follow-on occupation and reconstruction, and the build-up in East Asia will be staggering. The National Debt will return to unacceptable levels, and the Democrats will focus their efforts on the domestic economy. The left will continue to argue that the Bush administration is/was imperial in nature. I don't think the Democratic candidate has yet emerged. Bush, categorically, will not suspend elections.

10. Bush will appoint at least one more member to the Supreme Court, but the Court will not agree with many of the Shrub's initiatives. The Congress will sink most other Bush plans. I'm rather confident of Items 9 and 10. Perhaps as much as 80:20.

11. Governments that have previously supported terrorists and provided sanctuary, will distance themselves from terrorist organizations. Iran may support Pakistan if a Pakistani/Indian war breaks out. Israel will continue to be a sore point in Middle-eastern affairs, but the number of terrorist attacks on Israel may decrease as material support for Palestinian groups dries up. I don't expect real peace in the region during our lifetime, but the size and seriousness of the conflict might be significantly reduced.

I feel the need to reiterate here that this sort of analysis is very hard to quantify, and must rest far too much on the analysts seat-of-the-pants art.

We should see in the next few weeks if the Doomsday predicted by the pacifist crowd, or this scenario is more correct. The future will probably contains some of both forcasts. I just hope the Doomsayers are less right than I am.

The next four quotes are, I think, right on point and contain most of the rational behind my conclusion that further efforts to contain Saddam Hussein are counterproductive, and dangerous to the world.

Quote:
I see little merit in the French desire to prolong a situation that ultimately will have to be resolved by military force. The comparison between Sadam and Hitler isn't really all that far fetched. Chamberlain and the international pacifist movement of the time were willing to believe the most outrageous lies and promises of Hitler to avoid armed conflict. The reaped the whirlwind. Saddam, another megalomaniac, marched into Kuwait and the world ejected him, but failed to finish the job.

The suggestion that inspectors and an occupying force to insure inspected areas remain sanitary would not work. First, Saddam would never agree to the occupation of Iraq in slow motion. Second, even if he did the cost in resources would probably be greater than war. If the intent is to force Saddam into making the initial attack in a new round of fighting, that surrenders the initiative to him. Maintaining the initiative is an important consideration in conducting military operations.

There appears to be no way around the coming conflict. These are the alternatives as I see them:

1. Saddam disarms in compliance with UN resolutions and his obligations.

2. Saddam departs the scene and a new Iraqi government divests itself of the objectionable arms.

3. The UN can pass another resolution specifically authorizing military force followed by items 1, 2, or commencement of hostilities.

4. The UN can pass a resolution forbidding military force against Saddam's Iraq. This alternative would be the practical result if the UN were to extend inspections into some indefinite future.

5. The UN can stand mute, and let the US led military disarm Saddam.

6. The US can stand-down it's military.

Only alternative 5 has a very high probability of actually happening.
Alternative 3 is second most likely. Alternatives 1 and 6 are equally improbable, except as a product of one of the other alternatives. If the UN chooses alternative 4, Saddam wins -- at least in the short term.

Quote:
Who will contain Saddam and prevent him from doing all the ill he's shown himself willing to do, if our military forces were withdrawn? Who will pay the cost of containment? If our military forces are needed in East Asia, who will replace them in Southwest Asia? How do you propose to easy the burden on Iraq's neighbors who must host the containment forces? How do you expect to maintain an effective fighting force under "containment" conditions for another twelve years, or more?

The "what if" rational is admittedly based upon probabilities. The level of probability that Saddam would do all the bad things he's capable of if not forcibly disarmed and removed approaches certainty. There isn't a single shred of evidence that Saddam, left to his own devices, will not continue to foment terrorism and seek to dominate Middle Eastern politics by force and threats.

This action is not to save President Bush's face, it is to deny our enemies a victory that would have terrible consequences in the future. We have gotten a bad reputation internationally for not sticking to our guns. We encouraged the Shia and Kurds to overthrow Saddam and then abandoned them to his torture squads. Iraqi military forces were ready to stage a coup against Saddam, but the lack of resolve in Washington led to failure and the murder of more anti-Saddam people. We can not cut and run every time the going promises to get rough. It is that unwillingness to risk casualties, that has continually encouraged our enemies. The Kim Dynasty has survived fifty years on threats.

Quote:
* Our forces in theater are at near optimal preparedness to engage Iraqi forces, that "cutting edge" can not be maintained indefinitely and will begin to dull quickly. It is important that our forces be at "the top of their game" at the moment hostilities open. That will reduce casualties among our own troops, which is our first responsibility. Sending our troops into battle after their edge is worn away will also increase the likelihood of civilian and fratricidal casualties, as the number of accidents will probably be larger. Overwhelming force, lethality, and speed are essential to bringing the matter to a rapid conclusion. The longer the firing goes on, the greater the casualties and costs all around. Acting soon is our best chance at keeping the costs in lives to the minimum.

* An extended stay will exacerbate relations with host countries. It is neither cheap, nor particularly fun to have an army sitting around waiting to move. Our older British friends might recall the stresses they encountered under far better circumstances back in 1943-44. Kuwait, Oman, and Turkey are already under considerable pressure, and those pressures will only rise as time goes by. Having non-muslim soldiers living for an extended period may well become intolerable. If our forces are "fixed" in place for an extended period, the probabilty of terrorist attacks on them and their host countries would be very much higher.

* A substantial part of our fighting capability should not be tied up in Southwest Asia at a time when North Korea might break out into open hostilities again. Kim Jong-Il is taking advantage of the Iraqi situation to enlarge his nuclear arsenal. Threats from the DPRK have been increasing in number and tone for sometime. The Korean situation is going to have to be faced sooner or later, and Kim's actions may force a military showdown at anytime. The DPRK is without question a danger to world peace, security, and stability. The UN is going to be challenged again, and it could come at any time. Shifting our center of gravity from one theater to another takes time, and of course money.

* The cost in treasure and disruption of national resources in maintaining forces in theater would be ruinous. Logistics for such a large force is not cheap, and as time wears on the costs will rise. The society pay hidden costs by having part-time soldiers deployed for lengthy periods. The uncertainty of the situation is disruptive to the economy and keeps the stock market (an economic indicator) from stabilizing. The cost of fuel from the Gulf isn't going to become any cheaper by waiting. The cost of putting these forces into the field is already very expensive, and it would double the cost to reassemble them seven months from now. These and other costs argue for a swift conclusion.

Quote:
To remove the troops would entail a similar cost to putting them there in the first place. That amounts to doubling the cost, with no return on the investment. Once the credible threat of military force was removed, Saddam would claim victory and resume the same sort of tactics he used for 12 years.

At the height of UN inspection Saddam continued to produce chemical/biological and nerve agents without detection. During that same period Saddam's efforts to obtain components needed to produce nuclear weapons remained secret. After defectors blew the whistle on Saddam's secret weapons programs, he threw the inspectors our of country. He has had four years to rebuild all that was destroyed, and to refine his means of concealment. Now a small contingent of UN Inspectors are back in country, but Saddam continues to obstruct and conceal his prohibited arsenal. Periodically, usually after being caught in another lie, Saddam grudgingly tosses a few crumbs of hope on the table that things will change. This is only been made possible by the presence of our troops and the threat of imminent hostilities. Once the troops are gone, what will happen?

Saddam will lead the Inspectors a merry chase for perhaps a month, and then they will be kicked out of country again. Saddam will continue to build and stockpile weapons whose sole purpose is the murder of innocent civilians. At least some of those within Iraq who have secretly supported the overthrow of Saddam will be discovered, tortured and murdered. In a year the conditions will be worse than they are now, and the difficulties of reassembling the forces will be greater. It might not be politically possible for Bush to recommit the necessary forces to the area during an election year after failing to follow through now. Without resolving the problems now, the uncertainties would just drag out over a longer period. The dollar costs themselves would almost certainly be greater in a year than they are now. Even if the decision was made to reassemble the military on Iraq's borders, what would prevent a replay of the current situation?

The following effects can be expected, though assessing the probabilities are more difficult. Kuwait will be left defenseless, and open to Iraqi retaliation -- most probably by terrorist acts not easily traced back to Saddam's door. palestinian terrorism will increase in tempo and intensity. Iran will claim that it needs a nuclear weapon to defend itself against Iraq, and will increase its efforts to build it's own bomb. Kim Jong-Il will note that the UN has failed to act against Saddam even though victory was certain, and he will be encouraged to further threaten all-out nuclear war if anyone objects to his greatly enlarging his nuclear arsenal. Countries who rely on the American military to shield them from aggression will have less confidence that they will be protected, and hence will be more easily intimidated by threats.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 06:50 pm
Uh....thanks, Asherman. I'll take a day off and read that sometime.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 09:02 pm
Well, Snood it really isn't that hard to read and shouldn't take but a little time to digest. The posting has brought together five posts relevant to the topic from other threads, so just read them one at a time.

The question is posed, "Is containment a viable option?"

My answer is no it is not. The rational underlying my opinion is I think clear in that post. If you, or anyone else, think my reasoning faulty then demonstrate where I'm wrong. I ask a number of questions in the post. Some are rhetorical, but others deserve consideration if anyone is seriously interested in the matter. Would you like me to go back through the post and highlight even more the central issues and questions asked?
0 Replies