Please tell me how you interpret this?

Reply Mon 14 May, 2018 09:39 pm
Actually, it's just one sentence, but I'll type the whole pasage anyway just to give you some context:

"I don't know how she managed it, but, for all the time they were at Nauheim, she contrived never to let those two be alone together, except in broad daylight, in very crowded places. If a Protestant had done that it would no doubt have awakened a self-consciousness in the girl. But Catholics, who have always reservations and queer spots of secrecy, can manage these things better. "

The part I'm having trouble understanding is "who have always reservations and queer spots of secrecy."

Does the world reservation here mean reservation as in a reserved table in a restaurant? And "spots of secrecy"? Does it mean places where one finds private, like when they don't like to be disturbed?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you1
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 414 • Replies: 4
No top replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 15 May, 2018 12:35 am
@Yang1130,
Yang1130 wrote:
Does the world reservation here mean reservation as in a reserved table in a restaurant?

No. I would go with:

2b: doubt, misgiving
'had serious reservations about marriage'
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/reservation

Yang1130 wrote:
And "spots of secrecy"? Does it mean places where one finds private, like when they don't like to be disturbed?

More that there are parts of their personal lives that they keep hidden from other people.

The book is suggesting that Catholics have odd quirks, and is saying that Leonora's controlling behavior was not noticed because it was just assumed to be some of those quirks.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 15 May, 2018 03:24 am
@Yang1130,
One of the main differences between Protestants and Catholics is confession. This means that a Catholic can always confide secretly in a priest, they can then be absolved, so moral arguments can be left to someone else, (the church, the priest.)

Protestants can't do that, they don't have that secret place to discuss any reservations, (misgivings) they may have so they're more likely to have some sort of awakening.
Yang1130

Reply Tue 15 May, 2018 10:27 pm
@oralloy,
Very helpful, thanks!
0 Replies

Yang1130

Reply Tue 15 May, 2018 10:29 pm
@izzythepush,
Thank you so much, again!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Please tell me how you interpret this?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/16/2024 at 04:16:09