Iraq - The Long Goodbye?

Stinger

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 02:46 pm
A concern of mine, regarding war in Iraq, is that entering the country may be easier than leaving. While of course there is the possibility that some in positions of power, may like the idea of staying on in Iraq for decades, to babysit the oilfields, the problem is that Iraq may become the Middle Eastern version of the Balkans, once / if the West leaves.

With Kurds in the north, Shia in the south, and Sunni in the middle, there is the potential for conflict if a power vacuum is created. Saddam Hussein is a Sunni, but the real majority in Iraq are the Shia, who have ties with Iran. If we really intend on creating a 'democratic' country, as we understand the term, then the Shia would be the likely winners of an election. However, if a 'democratic' election means that the Kurds and Sunni feel excluded from power, it could mean that problems will continue in the country, possibly leading to civil war as the three groups scramble to gain control of areas of Iraq.

Hopefully our 'leaders' in the West, have a long term plan for Iraq, after Hussein is gone, or we may be stuck with the role of peacekeeper for several years, before we can finally say goodbye.

Here is a reasonably informative article from the National Geographic, concerning this issue.

Iraq Expert Predicts "Problems of Control"
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/11/1119_021119_iraqexpert.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,337 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 03:21 pm
Thanks for creating this topic, Stinger and for the information!

Some more information about "the tribes" in Iraq can be read in this article from "Pioneer Press":
In Iraq's ancient tribes, U.S. faces a formidable wild card
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 03:58 pm
Check this out:

http://www.msnbc.com/news/877019.asp?0cv=CA01

If the "best and the brightest" managed to get us involved in Vietnam, can you imagine the debacle the current "geniuses" in Washington will manage to get us involved in?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 04:07 pm
blacksmithn
Don't worry I heard that Bush has a plan to deal with the situation. It involves I believe cutting taxes for the rich. Again!
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 04:17 pm
I heard that was his plan for dealing with Social Security, too.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 04:28 pm
these are all vicious liberal lies, the Bush adminstration has never had a plan for anything. its always 9 a.m. gosh folks what shall we do today?
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 08:57 pm
Okay, now check THIS out:

http://apnews1.iwon.com//article/20030226/D7PE1JI80.html

The Army's top general tells Congress today that an occuation force would involve SEVERAL HUNDRED THOUSAND troops!

And nobody is able to give an estimate for how long this occupation will last. What on earth are these idiots THINKING?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 07:00 am
There was a report this AM that the Iraq operation will cost 100 billion dollars. And take an occupation force of 150,000 troops for X amount of time. I now have now doubt that what has been advocated by that Senator from NY will come to pass. Namely the draft.
0 Replies