When is/was/will be the Dark Age of Television?

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2018 09:26 am
What is the worst era for television?
Anecdotal proof that the dark ages of television fell in the 70's and 80's.

What are some examples of the worst television ever created?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 13 • Views: 1,735 • Replies: 27
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2018 11:21 am
Among the really bad shows worthy of Worst Ever status goes to My Mother the Car.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2018 11:40 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Among the really bad shows worthy of Worst Ever status goes to My Mother the Car.

I wonder what a Zach Snyder gritty reboot of that infamous series or maybe Cop Rock would look like?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2018 11:48 am
I haven't seen a new idea on television in close to 20 years. Everything's already been done. The most innovative programming was probably 40+ years ago. So I'm going with the Dark Age of Television being now - everything is really a repeat.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2018 12:21 pm
@Ragman,
my worst ever would be "Two Broke Girls" but "How I met your mother" would be hot on it's heels
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2018 12:55 pm
Some of my must watch shows were absolutely hated by my brother. For that reason, I won't add to the list. Never know whose toes I might step on.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2018 12:58 pm
@glitterbag,
Agree there. Watching Broke Girls was as painful as having bamboo shoots jammed up your fingernails. Horrible dialogue and worse stupid, plots.
farmerman

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2018 02:52 pm
@ehBeth,
I agree with ebeth. TV hqs gone to mediocrity when the "reality how" node began growing. Reality Shows are easy qnd cheap to produce and they offer a return in investment without hardly damn bit of creativity.. Then on top of that we have these "theme history or science BS shows" lik ancient aliens, or hunting for sasquatch or treasure and never finding a goddm thing jut so the sho can be dragged out to 8 episodes.

NOW, some fairly good content i available as light in the darkness and its offered by pay per view or subscription or internet paid TV.

It iw the best of times , it is the worst of times
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2018 01:57 am
@glitterbag,
Only seen the trailers, that's enough.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2018 02:33 am
We got a television in 1956. There was only one station we could pull then, it was on for ten hours a day, six days a week. There was nothing on. Now you can get 500 channels--there's still nothing on.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2018 06:36 am
@ehBeth,
The scifi channel recently produced The Expanse. Possibly one of the best sci-fi series ever on TV.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2018 07:07 am
@Ragman,
I got rid of TV a few years ago. Once in a while, I’ll be vacationing a few days with friends or family, and occasional to sit in front of a TV show.

I stayed with that Broke Girls show for about ten minutes of an episode. It just confirms that what passes for entertainment...really doesn’t.

The ROKU set up is pretty chill. The Wire, The Americans, old classic TV, big variety of movies... Better Call Saul, Breaking Bad, True Detective...

Comcast et al demand WAY too much for cable. Really hate their monopoly in my area.

I imagine ROKU will ratchet up their fees before much longer. Meanwhile, it’s not a bad way to have a bit of entertainment.
thack45

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2018 07:22 am
Beth is right that there's really nothing new. So much so that they're literally remaking/rebooting old shows. And there's a lot of just pushing the envelope further and further. Or like Farmerman noted, the formulaic reality and crappy science and investigative shows. I agree with Edgar too. Tastes are different. Someone had to like Broke Girls, or How I Met Your Mother. But I could point to any time (from the late 70s on) and site, what are to me, good and bad shows.

izzythepush

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2018 07:51 am
@thack45,
Our comedies are still brilliant.

0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2018 10:35 am
@Lash,
Likewise we dropped network-based programming and our cable account. We now run Hulu+ and/or Netflix and Amazon Prime in both of our residences since recently we became snowbirds. We love binge-watching on series like Suits and other such programs.
Lash

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2018 11:13 am
@Ragman,
I’ll have to try Suits.

Really liked The Good Wife—politics, legal, personal entanglements.
Ragman

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2018 11:51 am
@Lash,
Most likely you’ll like Suits because of its depth and it delves into most of those same areas. Good/great acting, snappy repartee (think dynamics like Boston Legal and LA Law) and great direction. FWIW, Prince Harry’s fiancé Meghan Markle is one of the female stars and great. Warning: addiction possibility is likely.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Wed 2 May, 2018 10:53 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
What are some examples of the worst television ever created?

0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Thu 3 May, 2018 09:30 am
Has to be the 2010's.

Why?
Well, there was this.

MOVIE 43.

I don't even want to link to a trailer for this little gem, since I'm afraid watching it would cause our collective iq and eq to drop by several points...
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 3 May, 2018 09:48 am
@najmelliw,
That's a theatrically released movie... not a television movie or series. Albeit, a horrible abomination of a studio produced movie.

1. Forums
  2. » When is/was/will be the Dark Age of Television?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 10:41:48