why do we feel, like/comfortable speaking to new people rather than to known ones?

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2018 04:10 pm
I've seen this weird thing were we like speaking and bonding with new people and talk less with the known ones.
Why?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 368 • Replies: 4
No top replies

chai2

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2018 06:00 pm
@natureboi,
Really?

Or is it you like that, and assume others do too.

What is your evidence?

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2018 10:14 pm
@chai2,
I also found natureboi's claim to not reflect my personal experience. I feel comfortable talking to old friends, and also new acquaintances. I guess I'm an extrovert. Never felt shy about talking to strangers.
I have traveled solo many times on over 100 trips, and have made friends on some of them that I have kept in touch with throughout the years. That was part of the benefit of travel; to meet people around the world. I have friends in Russia, France, England, Cuba, Mexico, Singapore, and all across the US.
chai2

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2018 01:16 am
@cicerone imposter,
Keep in mind CI, that being shy and being an introvert is not necessarily the same thing.

I'm in no way shy, and can flare up a conversation with complete strangers (one on one or in very small groups), or stand in front of a large group of people and talk and not be nervous. However, I consider myself very much an introvert. That's because when I do those things I still feel very much "in myself" if that makes any sense.

I avoid situations where I don't feel it was my choice to be there. Then I feel I have to be "outside of myself".

I also talk openly, freely and sincerely with people I consider friends and have known for years, even decades.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2018 10:12 am
@chai2,
I understand many actors are the same.
My experience was different from many other Japanese Americans whose reputation as I was much younger was of the quiet American. I have made presentations to large groups as part of my job, and felt comfortable.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » why do we feel, like/comfortable speaking to new people rather than to known ones?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 11:10:31