How much weight can a wooden fence have leaning on it?

dupre

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2018 02:21 pm
Hello, everyone.

A neighbor's dog has been digging holes under our joint fence. His solution is to lean heavy wooden pallets on the fence to keep the dog away.

We just had the fence repaired last week due to the dog jumping on it. The nails came out and the fence nearly fell over.

The wooden pallets can weight from 30 to 70 pounds. And, of course, the dog is still jumping on the pallets which are now leaning against the fence.

To my mind, this makes matters even worse than before, not better.

Anyway, how much weight can one lean against a modest, privacy wooden fence before it starts pulling nails out.

Thank you!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 525 • Replies: 10
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2018 02:36 pm
I don't know how much weight it takes. I suggest using two inch screws beside the nails.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2018 02:43 pm
Who put up the fence? Not sure what side you are talking about. Around here, if a homeowner puts up a fence that also borders a neighbor’s yard, the “good” side must face the neighbor. So did you just drive nails into the back of the posts? If the fence crashes to your side, he will have to replace it. Call the city ordinance officer for a consultation.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2018 05:13 pm
@dupre,
I don't know from fences, but good to see you back. Are you going to give us an update.
dupre

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2018 06:28 pm
@roger,
Hi! I did reach out to the landlord. Roger, so wonderful to hear from you. What's up?
roger

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2018 07:35 pm
@dupre,
Retired for about a decade and mooching off the social security check. Not doing much at all.
dupre

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2018 08:15 pm
@roger,
Good job, Roger! Congrats on reaching that all elusive goal!
roger

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2018 09:12 pm
@dupre,
Like getting old, it wasn't a goal. It just kind of happened.
0 Replies

Amoh5

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2018 03:40 am
@dupre,
Yup, screws are better than nails because they grip much better like the big long galvinized ones used in roofing, but you'd need an electric drill and a socket drill bit to screw them in. The weight tolerance for a little picket fence should be at least a hundred kilograms I would think, also depending on whether the main posts were well cemented in the ground or not.
dupre

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2018 09:59 am
@Amoh5,
Hello and thank you! They did use screws when they fixed the fence. I noticed that the neighbor used the boards from the pallets to build a dog house for his dog. I'm so relieved. The poor thing had no shelter from rain, cold, wind, and heat. Now he does. I had believed he put them against the fence to stop the underground digging and intended to leave them there. Now I think that was just a temporary thing and the pallets will likely be removed. So this is no longer an issue. Thanks again for a specific reply! These are very large pallets. I'm sure they weight a lot!
Amoh5

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2018 05:05 am
@dupre,
Hello Dupre, you're most welcome, have a good day
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » How much weight can a wooden fence have leaning on it?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 11:18:20