Discipline teenagers

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2018 08:33 pm
I have a 17 year old teenager who very rarely leaves the house, apart from hair appts/dental appts. He was going to school up until December and now has completely stopped going to school, as well as, doing his usual sports. I can't get him to do anything around the house. Basically, he sleeps late and is up all night which has caused upset in the house because of my other child getting up for school. I've taken him to the doctor, spoken to our local priest, as well as, a family support person and either he goes to his room and doesn't come out or he speaks but won't admit that there is something wrong. He has been showing signs of having OCD for the past 2/3 years but hasn't been officially diagnosed. I am now wondering whether he is suffering from depression. I've had relatives come to the house to try to get him motivated to do something, but he keeps saying that nothing is wrong with him. Our relationship is not good for I feel he has lost all respect for me and has manhandled me when I take something away from him. I literally don't know how much more I can take of this. Any suggestions or advice on what to do would be helpful.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 384 • Replies: 4
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2018 08:52 pm
Are you a single mother who has raised this boy?

Is there a male figure in his life?

Your problem is not rare. Many parents are dealing with situations like this. You need social workers , therapists and an intervention.

My grandson is just now coming out of his funk, and he is 22. Dropped out of college and took up the computer game life. (Which is his hiding place) He's not dumb, nor is he lazy, he just made several mistakes in judgement.

His single mother spoiled him all his life, and the household revolved around him. At 17, he had the run of the house. Never had to clean up for himself or work for anything. She shoved him off to a major university, which he was not prepared for.

It has been just recently that mother began to not enable or rescue him in every situation, and he has made improvements in his life and self esteem. Still, the computer games are very much a oart of his life. He is also back playing hockey.

Is your son computer game addict? Has your son ever had a psychological evaluation?
bunnyhabit

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2018 09:00 am
what do you mean by "mishandled me" physically or verbally punished you for bothering him? .

from your narrative i would recommend a complete physical and psychological examination to clearly determine the cause of his behavior. may just be his personality. he will be eighteen soon so will be an adult beyond your control so you need to act quickly to solve the problem.
Angels102

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2018 06:38 pm
@PUNKEY,
I am in the middle of a divorce and my son hasn't had his father in his life for the last two years. My husband hasn't been a big part of his life since he was about ten because he always worked away from home. Part of my problem is I have very little support. I have been trying to get invention but my son won't talk to nobody. In regards to computer games, he spends a lot of time on his laptop but I don't know what he does on it. He has never had a psychological evaluation.
0 Replies

Angels102

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2018 06:45 pm
@bunnyhabit ,
Thanks for your input. Manhandled means he becomes physical. I am trying my best to get help but it is so hard dealing with this day in and day out.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Discipline teenagers
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 03:56:54