How can I get someone to run a modified two-slit experiment for me?

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2018 06:47 pm
I'm looking for someone to run a modified two-slit experiment. It must fire and detect single photons or electrons. It must also be done rigorously and the results must be publishable.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 970 • Replies: 12
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2018 04:39 am
@Dupierre,
Dupierre wrote:

How can I get someone to run a modified two-slit experiment for me?
Pay them
maxdancona

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2018 05:25 am
@Dupierre,
The way this is written suggests that you don't understand the "two slit" experiment. The experiment is in the interactions of photons or electrons...

You can't do that with a single photon.

Of course, if someone knows how to set up an experiment to disprove quantum physics... they would do it themselves and win a Noble Prize for it.
Dupierre

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2018 12:45 pm
@rosborne979,
I am willing to pay them. Who are they?
Dupierre

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2018 12:47 pm
@maxdancona,
I want to run the experiment firing photons or electrons one at a time. This has been done many times. I want to modify the experiment a little.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2018 05:55 pm
@Dupierre,
Hmmm.... I was just reading about that. It doesnt sound like something that a layperson could do. There are some videos online that look like they are from reputable physicists.

Do you have access to a modern physics lab?

Most of modern physics is far beyond the reach of people who haven't taken the time to earn a graduate degree.
rosborne979

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2018 08:40 pm
@Dupierre,
Dupierre wrote:

I am willing to pay them. Who are they?

Colleges and Universities might do it. And some private companies might have the right equipment and expertise. But I have no idea what the charge is for such a service. You’ll have to contact some and ask them.
Dupierre

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2018 08:42 pm
@maxdancona,
There is a video with the set up I need on the Veritasium channel on YouTube. I think that was at the University of Sydney, and it was just a set-up in a classroom. I have discussed my idea with a PhD who is at SLAC now and has been at the Planck Institute, and he thinks it is worth checking out, although he doesn't have the time himself. I am trying to find someone, maybe a physics grad student, who can help me do this, or at least tell me what it would take.
Dupierre

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2018 09:05 pm
@rosborne979,
Unfortunately you have to have credentials for those institutions to take you seriously. My degree is not in physics.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2018 09:07 pm
@Dupierre,
Good luck. My physics degree is about 25 years out of date (and I have been working in another profession). I would think you need a detector, a electron source that is carefully controlled and calibrated, and a very finely made double slit.

This is the most interesting article I found....

Quote:
The team created a double slit in a gold-coated silicon membrane, in which each slit is 62 nm wide and 4 μm long with a slit separation of 272 nm. To block one slit at a time, a tiny mask controlled by a piezoelectric actuator was slide back and forth across the double slits.

The electrons were created at a tungsten filament and accelerated across 600 V and collimated into a beam. After passing through the double slit, they were detected using a multichannel plate.

https://physicsworld.com/a/feynmans-double-slit-experiment-gets-a-makeover/

It doesn't sound that easy to me to replicate this. There is a lot of precision. That is pretty cool!

I am a bit curious. What would you do that is different than what these researchers did?

Dupierre

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2018 09:59 pm
@maxdancona,
I can't really tell you in this forum, but I'll be glad to explain it to you. Email me at [email protected]
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2018 06:47 am
@Dupierre,
Dupierre wrote:
Unfortunately you have to have credentials for those institutions to take you seriously. My degree is not in physics.

I see, getting past their "crackpot" filter is the first step. So you need an "in", someone who knows someone who can get them to at least listen to you.

I don't think we have any active academic physicists on A2K currently, but there are forums specifically devoted to Physics and I think they have active academic physicists interacting. You should be able to google those. But unless you have a Bill Gates sized checkbook, I think you'll have to get past someone's crackpot filter somewhere along the way, so you should be prepared to provide a detailed written description of what you are trying to do and some level of theoretical backing for it.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2018 04:21 pm
@Dupierre,
Generally people who have had revolutionary ideas in science write about them first, and after convincing the scientific community they know what they are talking about, a lab will run the experiment.

Do the math out... and write a paper with your ideas.
0 Replies