When a heathen is invited to Cholent, what does s/he bring?

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 02:53 am
Well, that heathen in question would indeed be me. I am invited to a "Cholent" tomorrow, small affair, but very high-elite. Former President of the Holocaust Museum will be there and such. It's at my boss's house. I picked up from an email from another person that's coming that he's bringing a book (that my boss was searching for for ages) as 'appreciation'. What the heck? I thought I would just bring a wine or desert. Is there any code of behavior that I need to take into consideration? I want to be 'proper' and non-challant at the same time, as if i knew all along. What do I bring?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 644 • Replies: 14
No top replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 10:01 am
well, it's in a few hours. i think i'll just get some kosher wine and maybe a dessert?
What is Cholent exactly?
...off to google it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 10:09 am
It seeems like it's a food, rather than an event? That you're really invited to a Sabbath meal?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 10:15 am
http://www.myjewishlearning.com/culture/food/Overview_Ashkenazi_Cuisine/German_Beginnings/Food_Cholent_Roden.htm

I love the closing of that article; "One of my Israeli friends found himself eating cholent with friends in Jerusalem. When he complained that it was not very good, one of his companions replied, "It's not supposed to be." " Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 10:27 am
I keep finding variants of beef potato/barley stew with dumplings - so sounds like a Shabbat. My experience here is not to bring anything edible to a Shabbat unless explicitly asked to. The book, or other small token, approach is what I would take if invited to Shabbat.

Quote:
There is nothing lean, light or subtle about the traditional Jewish dishes of Central and Eastern Europe and a dish such as cholent (slowly cooked beef stew that is loaded with beans, potatoes, and, if you're truly lucky, kishke) hits you on the head, make its way to the stomach with a thump and then sits heavily in the intestines for several hours. Loaded with incredible amounts of fat and cholesterol, this is a dish that ignores nearly all of the rules of what we have come to think of as refined cuisine. Despite these seeming faults, well prepared cholent can be a delight beyond comparison. Oh yes, for the uninitiated, kishke (which Americans euphemistically call "stuffed derma") is made by stuffing beef intestines with bread crumbs, seasonings and chicken fat). I am not quite sure why, but the best cholent in the country always seems to be found in Tel Aviv.

I definitely would avoid bringing a dessert into the house unless/until you know exactly the degree of kosher your hosts keep.

I recently went to an event at a friend's home, where people keeping different degrees of kosher attended. Quite a few brought food, but wouldn't eat anything because they didn't trust what anyone else had brought, and they didn't seem to be sure that the hostess's kitchen was truly kosher (she eventually brought out the paper plates, and a few of them nibbled on what they, themselves, had brought) .
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 10:41 am
OH,a good point, ehbeth. Maybe that's why my colleague who is coming with desisted that we buy a dessert. she thinks we should just show up. It is most likely a Shabbat that we are going to, i am almost certain of it. great, fishin, thanks for the quote, i can't wait for lunch now! (i had a big late breakfast, just in case)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 10:47 am
I was briefly going to suggest bringing something in the candle range of gifts, and then remembered there are even kosher candles. <shakes head> Life's sooooooo complicated, and then there are kosher candles.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 10:50 am
Did anyone mention a nice bottle of Manischewitz or other kosher wine?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 10:51 am
tooo complicated. well i copied two long articles for him, and i think i will just shrug and tell him we really didn't know what to bring. he loves us, and won't mind. but the poor dear professor (my boss) is a horrid cook and his wife is gone.... good thing i am full.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 10:53 am
i could do that. is kosher wine in every liquor store? it's lunch though, dunno. i'll talk to the colleague that i'm going with, see what she thinks...
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 12:13 pm
Bring flowers, dag.

That oughta be safe. Wink
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 03:27 pm
dag- In Boston? I would expect that you could get kosher wines probably in any decent sized liquor store there.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 04:50 pm
I've seen kosher wines around. And beers too - there's one called the chosen brew. Hehe.

Can't wait to hear how lunch went...... <glad to see D made it home ok>.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 11:26 pm
lunch was actually GREAT! we stayed for almost 5 hours!!! the president of the holocaust museum and his family are awesome, witty and funny people, so is my boss. my question about what to bring turned out irrelevant - i was running awfully late as usual and we had no time to bring anything <hangs head in shame>. i don't think anyone did. cholent was excellent - if i knew it is essentially meat and potatoes, wouldn't have stuffed myself with an omelette before... good day. i spent two hours in the gym too and watched 2 movies about india in preparation for my trip.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 12:47 am
sounds great!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » When a heathen is invited to Cholent, what does s/he bring?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 10:22:48