Putting energy equals same energy gained

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2018 09:06 pm
Is it true that you always end up with the same energy u put in a system just some is transfered to other types of energy?

For instance if you have a blown up balloon and you compress it. the potential energy is equal to what you compressed it with.

Could you leave a note and your profession.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 707 • Replies: 1
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2018 09:16 pm
@vipera2006,
I am not sure I understand the question. The conservation of energy is a basic law of classical physics. It works like this.

When you blow up a balloon, you expend energy (which comes from the chemical energy of carbohydrates in the food you ate that your muscles convert into kinetic energy) that you put into the balloon by doing work. That energy goes into a couple of different places.

- potential energy of a blown up balloon (which you can easily recover if you let the balloon go and watch it move around like crazy).
- Noise (yes, the noise you make blowing up the balloon is energy and is wasted). This includes the stretching rubber noises and the rushing air noises.
- Heat (yep... you heat up the balloon as you blow into it).

So no, the potential energy will not be exactly equal to the energy you expend. You will lose some of that energy to noise and heat right away.

My profession is currently software engineer, but many years ago I taught Physics.

0 Replies