The definitive guide to phpBB mod_rewrite problems/errors

hedgehog

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 07:03 pm
Hi,

I'm trying to get this mod rewrite to work... Everything looks ok.. I don't get any errors but the when you click on the html link, it doesn't generate the html code, it acts like it but after a 4-6 second pause it brings you back to the forum index. So, guests don't get any errors but they can't go anywhere expect view the index... Any thoughts?
0 Replies

hedgehog

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 03:39 pm
Craven de Kere
Hi Ok, I'm a newbie at all this stuff... I tried to following your instructions... I'm new so it took me a little time to understand what was going on

my .htaccess is
Code:
RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^foo.* bar.html [L,NC]
[*]Attempt to access foo.html in this directory with your browser.

placed the .htaccess in the same folder as bar.html

After I went to the folder with the .htaccess I got a 500 error. Emailed the webservice and said that mod_rewrite was installed...

Code:Server Root /usr/local/apache
Loaded Modules mod_evasive, mod_security, mod_auth_passthrough, mod_log_bytes, mod_bwlimited, mod_php4, mod_frontpage, mod_ssl, mod_setenvif, mod_so, mod_expires, mod_auth, mod_access, mod_rewrite, mod_alias, mod_userdir, mod_actions, mod_imap, mod_asis, mod_cgi, mod_dir, mod_autoindex, mod_include, mod_status, mod_negotiation, mod_mime, mod_log_config, mod_env, http_core

My error log is this
[Sun Mar 5 15:11:54 2006] [error] [client x.x.x.x] File does not exist: /home/shh/public_html/500.shtml
[Sun Mar 5 15:11:54 2006] [alert] [client x.x.x.x] /home/shh/public_html/test1/.htaccess: Invalid command '[*]Attempt', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration

I'm not sure what to do next... I have read this thread a lot of times... and I hope I provided enough info for you to help...

also tried this and got same error

my .htaccess is
Code:
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /test1/
RewriteRule ^foo.* bar.html [L,NC]
[*]Attempt to access foo.html in this directory with your browser.
0 Replies

hedgehog

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 04:55 pm
Ok, actually if you take the [*] out of your .htaccess and go to the folder it brings up the folder and showes that there is a file called bar.html and when you go to folder/foo.hml it brings up the content in bar.html

Is this mean it is working correctly? If so, I put the .htaccess changes in the forum directory as supplied in the install instructions. SID are all gone for guests, but when you click on a link or topic that is supposed to displays html, it does not actually go to that link, it trys to (5 sec pause), then it brings you back to the index. So in otherwords, guests can only see the index of the forum. I get no error messages, from the server or browsing. ONce logged on the site is funny functional.

Please help... Wiling to give a little $ to save me some time...

[email protected]
0 Replies

mrix

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 02:35 am
index.php link problem???
Hello all, I am wondering how I can change the main link on my phpbb forum that has used your mod basically the link that takes you back to the main page shows index.php instead of index.html ? all over pages mod ok?
any help greatly appriciated
thanks
mrix
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 02:51 am
Re: index.php link problem???
mrix wrote:
Hello all, I am wondering how I can change the main link on my phpbb forum that has used your mod basically the link that takes you back to the main page shows index.php instead of index.html ? all over pages mod ok?
any help greatly appriciated
thanks
mrix

I don't have time to give you the exact file line but search for "index" (not index.php as the extention is a variable) with a tool like powergrep and change the extention to html.
0 Replies

rady

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 02:33 am
how do i solve the pagination url error
i'm trying to solve this problem ever since i installed the mod, few months ago
the problem i have is at the pagination in viewtopic.php
in vewforum.php, the pagination url looks fine (forums/about2771-1-15.html) but if i am reading tjhe topic, in viewtopic.php the url looks like this forums/about2787.html&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=15

Can anyone help me? Sad
0 Replies

rady

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 01:03 am
..anyone.. Sad
0 Replies

tracy457

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 03:10 pm
Hello,
Have you checked the .htaccess file and includes/page_header.php as it looks like one of the lines have been written incorrectly.

.htaccess
Code:
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*)-([0-9]*)-([a-zA-Z]*)-([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1&postdays=$2&postorder=$3&start=$4 [L,NC]

includes/page_header.php
Code:
$urlin =
array(
"'(?<!/)viewtopic.php\?t=([0-9]*)&postdays=([0-9]*)&postorder=([a-zA-Z]*)&start=([0-9]*)'",
);
$urlout = array(
"about\\1-\\2-\\3-\\4.html",
);
0 Replies

thecoalman

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 04:32 am
Re: how do i solve the pagination url error
rady wrote:
.... the pagination url looks fine (forums/about2771-1-15.html) but if i am reading tjhe topic, in viewtopic.php the url looks like this forums/about2787.html&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=15

I had the same problem, in my case it was another mod it was conflicting with. Specifically printer friendly mod. Easy way to check it is to upload a plain vanilla copy of viewtopic.php which is what I did. If the problem goes away you'll have to find out what mod is conflicting with it and remove it.
0 Replies

jaiak

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 12:23 pm
Hola

Can I put my htaccess in my root directory with rewritebase ?

My web is min my main domain, and my forum is in a subdirectory

Regards from spain
0 Replies

archien

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 04:03 am
need help on changing the browser title
my forum is running on www.wowbodybuildingforum.com

What i need is when i click on the main category, the browser title shud be the category name clicked instead of the site name.

Need help on this.

Thanks
Archien
0 Replies

Georg

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 05:22 am
404 Errors !!
whow....i read several people complaining about 404 errors.

The solution is SIMPLE.

Your .htaccess file must be in the /forum SUBFOLDER on your site (where phpbb is) and *not* in the main-folder of your website.

I copied it the modied .htaccess to the forum folder...and bingo..no 404 anymore Smile
0 Replies

Nobby

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 03:16 am
Slashdot wrote:
ok sir.
everything is working now as it should except one thing.

For guests the links are now static URL's.

http://www........../board/forum-1.html

But links dont exist somehow? take me to an error page?

I have this error also, but i get it regardless of if the .htaccess file is in the forum folder or not, IE. i get the issue the same if i remove the .htaccess file totally. I have read all the posts and advice on this thread, none so far seems relevant to this issue.
0 Replies

Nobby

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 03:23 am
Craven

Please ignore my last post, i'm not sure how i solved it, but i deleted the .htaccess file and created a fresh one, all is now working perfectly, thanks very much for your effort in putting together these mods and indeed your advice and support.

To anyone who is having trouble with these mods, stick with it, i am a mere beginer and with a little help i managed to complete it.

thanks again

Nobby
0 Replies

kinklade

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 10:11 am
Dear Sir
my regex appears to be dead wrong, I wish to simply remove the ?page= in ../?page=york

so its /york

RewriteRule /?page=york /york

can anyone point me in the right direction?
0 Replies