Is "While" a relative pronoun?

Kaldren

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2018 11:21 pm
When I was taking coaching classes for competitive exam, the English teacher was teaching on the topic "Relative Pronoun".
The sentence which got me puzzled was : "She came to visit me, while, I was sleeping".
What I am puzzled about is the word 'While'.
In what sense it is a relative pronoun.
Please clarify, and if there are errors in my writing please correct me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 504 • Replies: 6
No top replies

centrox

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2018 07:56 am
"She came to visit me, while I was sleeping". While in that sentence is a conjunction, meaning "during the time that; at the same time as". There should not be a comma after it.

0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2018 08:55 am
For your sample sentence "while" Begins a simple adverbial phrase that tells "when" you were sleeping. No comma needed anywhere in the sentence.

I think the you are looking for use of "while" when it is used to make an a contrast or objection.

He liked the blue car, while I liked the red one.

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2018 11:39 am
@Kaldren,
"While" isn't used as a relative pronoun; it's used as a noun, conjunction and transitive verb. Some northern Brits use it to mean "until."
Kaldren

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2018 12:04 pm
@PUNKEY,
Thank your for replying and correction. I know that 'while' is used as a conjunction but I was very much surprised when the English tutor presented the above sentence as an example of relative pronoun quoting 'while' as a relative pronoun. I stood up and asked him whether the word 'while' is a relative pronoun and he said yes, I was totally puzzled by his response and thought that he was the tutor and there must be something. So, I am trying to clarify my doubts.
0 Replies

Kaldren

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2018 12:19 pm
@InfraBlue,
Thank your for replying.
I know that 'while' is used as a conjunction but I was very much surprised when the English tutor presented the above sentence as an example of relative pronoun quoting 'while' as a relative pronoun. I stood up and asked him whether the word 'while' is a relative pronoun and he said yes, I was totally puzzled by his response and thought that he was the tutor and there must be something. So, I am trying to clarify my doubts.
Though I am not very proficient in English Grammar, I know sentence structures, a little bit of grammar, so sometimes they (tutors) keep us puzzled when they present a wrong statement for eg. The English teacher who taught us for a few days only, (before the tutor I mentioned in the above paragraph) presented a sentence with the word 'Tantrum', - The baby was throwing tantrum (something like this, I forgot the sentence), he explained the meaning of tantrum as - the baby was throwing things like toys etc. Ironic!
centrox

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2018 12:30 pm
@Kaldren,
Kaldren wrote:
The baby was throwing tantrum (something like this, I forgot the sentence), he explained the meaning of tantrum as - the baby was throwing things like toys etc. Ironic!

The baby was throwing a tantrum. The use of 'throw' in the example given might lead to confusion, since one can throw (have) a tantrum, or a fit, without physically throwing any object. An angry child throwing a tantrum might simply lie on the floor or ground and scream.

0 Replies