Cleaner living through greener ideas

Lash

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2018 08:32 am
DIY body lotion:

The liver has to process all of the chemicals your body comes into contact with. As we get older, many times, our livers are a bit overworked, and they become less effective, causing us digestion-related discomfort and other unfavorable conditions, like eczema.

Some of us adapt our diets or reduce alcohol, trying to make amends to a recalcitrant liver, but we may not think about the chemical intake of our largest organ: our skin.

Face washes and skin lotions become increasingly expensive as the user ages because of the increasing need for more specialized ingredients to effect older skin. We’re still paying for the inclusion of additional ingredients that are damaging to our faces. So, why?

I started researching DIY lotion a couple of weeks ago, and made a couple of batches with a variety of skin-friendly oils. I also found a recipe for a skin wash that I’m trying this week.

Warning: Everyone has different allergies, and ingredients listed here may adversely affect you.

First DIY face wash:

1/4 c Bronner castile soap, unscented
Organic pure jojoba oil 5T
Distilled water 1c
Selected essential oils, 10-15 drops

Essential oils each have their own cool properties

Suggested essential oils: rosemary, tea tree, lavender, eucalyptus.
—————————————-

The most crazy awesome lotion that made my skin look SO MUCH HEALTHIER
This was a tiny batch and could use better measuring. I sorta ‘kitchen-sinked’ it.

2T pure shea butter
1T coconut butter
1t sweet almond oil
1t Jamaican Black Castor oil
1t vitamin E
1t Macadamia oil

My skin has never looked so smooth.

I just stuck an immersion blender down in all of that for a few minutes and slathered it on. It, of course, was super oily, but I didn’t mind. 🙋🏻

There are less oily recipes that I’ll try this week that are a little more complicated with the blending, and yield a fluffier, less oily product.

Feel free to drop off any DIY or clean health hacks here!!

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 435 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Lash

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2018 07:05 pm
Weird event: after 3 days of slathering on this fabulous oil, my hair has changed texture.

I’m not putting anything on my hair, but but it feels so soft and healthy, and it has a healthy weight that it didn’t before. This is totally weird. Like my body distributed the oil to my hair.

New research topic!!

Lash

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2018 09:48 am
Next topic: How not to fall and kill yourself in an oily tub.

If you've fallen in love with homemade body wash that includes jojoba or other oils, be very cognizant that any tub mat that has been dutifully gripping your tub surface may evolve to a slip n slide.

Will hopefully return with hack to avoid broken hip syndrome.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2018 10:00 am
All salmon are not created equal.

http://www.healthy-holistic-living.com/farmed-salmon-one-toxic-foods-world.html

Below the salmon farms dotted across the Norwegian fjords, there’s a layer of waste some 15 meters high, teeming with bacteria, drugs, and pesticides. In short, the entire sea floor has been destroyed, and since the farms are located in open water, the pollution from these farms is in no way contained.

A salmon farm can hold upwards of 2 million salmon in a relatively small amount of space. These crowded conditions result in disease, which spreads rapidly among the stressed salmon.

According to Oddekalv, sea lice, Pancreas Disease(PD) and Infectious Salmon Anemia Virus (ISA) have spread all across Norway, yet consumers are not informed of these fish pandemics, and sale of these diseased fish continue unabated. [2]

A number of dangerous pesticides are used in an effort to stave off disease-causing pests, one of which is known to have neurotoxic effects. Fish has always been considered a health food, but according to Oddekalv, today’s farmed salmon is one of the most toxic foods in the world

Lash

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2018 10:10 am
For people with oil in the bath, I’m going to try this. I also saw a vinegar solution that may be less a pain in the ass than baking powder... I’ll report back.

1st green degreaser for oily bathers.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/bathing-oil-out-bathtub-28475.html

Make a thin paste of baking soda and hot water. Start with equal amounts of both and thin it until is about the consistency of grainy mustard.
Apply the baking soda paste to the oil ring around the inside of the bathtub, if there is one. Baking soda isn’t caustic, so you can smear it on with your fingers.
Sprinkle baking powder over the bottom of the bathtub, the same way you’d use an abrasive cleanser.

Wet the plastic scrubber and thoroughly scrub the bottom of the bathtub. Rewet the scrubber often to keep the wet baking soda from caking on the surface of the scrubber.
Scrub the baking soda paste off of the inside of the tub where it has been sitting. It’s hard to use as much pressure on the sides of the tub as you can bring to bear on the bottom, so letting the paste sit helps absorb the oil.
Rinse the bath tub thoroughly and let it dry. If it squeaks when you run a wet finger over it, you have removed all of the bath oil.
Add liquid dish soap to your baking soda paste if it does not cut the oil on its own. Dish soap is designed to be very sudsy and can be hard to rinse completely out of the bathtub, so try the baking soda first.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2018 02:31 pm
@Lash,
It's only normal that your hair would undergo a change. Hair is dead. Therefore whatever exists elsewhere in your body, will wind up there, same as with your fingernails (which are also dead). Seems rather fast, but maybe you just got some heavier water recently (or there's a possum which has taken up residence on your head...you'd probably notice though).

Tub cleaning, I'd suggest merging baking soda and vinegar. The mixture helps dissolve and prevent drain clogs, so, it likely has cleaning potential for the grime of a tub. (test it on a friend's tub first....tho it might dissolve the friendship, not the grime)
coluber2001

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2018 04:06 pm
@Lash,
Thanks, Lash.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2018 07:27 pm
@Sturgis,
It did seem super fast. Oils dashing through my body to my hair...

Of course, I thought more plausible explanations might be that I forgot to wash out conditioner or oily residue might have transferred from my hands to my hair, so today I didn’t use conditioner or touch body lotion until my hair was dry.

Still oil drenched.🐋

Better hair through chemistry.👩‍🔬
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2018 03:00 am
I feel like I’m part of a salad these days.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2018 06:36 am
Lotion Adjustment #3
Every other day, I’ll only dab a very small bit of lotion on elbows, knees, and face—to see if that will reduce how oily my hair is.

I don’t like how hard I have to scrub baking powder in the tub. I’ll try a vinegar solution for easier tub cleaning as a degreaser. If it’s less scrub intensive and cuts the oil, I’ll post the recipe here.

Face Toner #1:

1/2 part distilled water
1/2 part Apple cider vinegar

So simple, and my pores love it!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2018 07:01 am
Know your vagus nerve. It definitely knows you.

https://www.organicolivia.com/2016/12/10-ways-to-instantly-stimulate-your-vagus-nerve-and-relieve-inflammation-depression-more/
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2018 10:21 am
My kid told me I looked unusually good yesterday. He said, “Your face!”
Grin.

I think it’s the toner plus lotion.

Just feedback 👵

I did have to cut the lotion to every third day. My hair was waaaay too greasy.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Cleaner living through greener ideas
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 11:32:35