The Right To Die - Euthanasia.

mark noble

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2018 11:40 am
@najmelliw,
It's not about how, when, where, who and only if approved.
It's a question of "Who am I to interfere with your choice?"
Who are any of us to set any parameters upon another's choice?
najmelliw

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2018 03:09 pm
@mark noble,
A suicide has an impact on society, a negative one. The decision of committing suicide is therefor not one that should be undertaken lightly. If possible, the person wanting to commit suicide should be helped as much as possible, either in committing suicide in as humane a manner as possible, or by trying to resolve the underlying issues that led the person in question to the decision of committing suicide in the first place.

Take for instance those teenagers who commit suicide due to (cyber)bullying problems(Amanda Todd?)... If they could receive proper help or counselling and make it through, than isn't that a live gained? And if, by any chance, they STILL wish to commit suicide after receiving help, then yes, we have done all we could... But I wouldn't want to be part of a society that would stand idly by while people are driven to taking their own lives for the 'sh*ts and giggles' of others...

And if we don't even look at the reasons behind a choice such as this, than how do we really know it was, in fact, their own choice, and not some manipulative spiel from another person? When does 'respect for the decision of others' in fact become a form of 'social isolation'?
coluber2001

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2018 04:21 pm
Laws against suicide? If somebody breaks the law by attempting suicide and fails what do you do to him for punishment? Make him more depressed? Is that sanity?

If we find an animal that's in extreme pain, do we argue about the morality of putting it out of its misery? Then what do we do with a person who is terminally ill and his pain can no longer be controlled, and he wishes to die? Is it moral or even sane to force that people to continue living in pain? Doesn't a person deserve the same compassion that we give an animal?

They put Dr. Kevorkian in prison for assisting such people to die, which is a declaration that compassion is illegal.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2018 04:44 pm
@coluber2001,
Quote:
If somebody breaks the law by attempting suicide and fails what do you do to him for punishment?

Right now? We hospitalize them and put them on suicide watch.

The mental health aspect is used for the person attempting suicide. The legal actions are taken against people who persuade, promote or assist in suicide.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2018 07:44 am
@najmelliw,
The more time I spend analysing this topic - The more I learn about 'societal' requirements.
This is not about what 'society' requires.
This is about 'individuals' and their requirements.

I'm not suggesting there is no 'red-tape' or a lack of council.
I'm looking beyond those 'limitations' and asking for 'legitimate' reasons as to why 'assisted-termination' is not 'commonplace'.

Like so -
1. It is financially unviable.
2. It is environmentally degenerative.
3. It is ecologically counter-productive......

I'm done here - Cheers for obliging.
najmelliw

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2018 08:29 am
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

I'm looking beyond those 'limitations' and asking for 'legitimate' reasons as to why 'assisted-termination' is not 'commonplace'.

Well, the cynic in me really can come up with 1 answer, morality aside:
1. Requesting this is akin to committing political suicide.

Given that, I doubt anybody would be liable to bring this topic up anytime soon in any sort of Western Democracy.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2018 10:26 am

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2018 12:16 pm
@mark noble,
Assisted dying is not commonplace in Canada but it's certainly available.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/medical-assistance-death-figures-1.4344267
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2018 12:18 pm
@najmelliw,
najmelliw wrote:

mark noble wrote:
'assisted-termination'

Well, the cynic in me really can come up with 1 answer, morality aside:
1. Requesting this is akin to committing political suicide.

Given that, I doubt anybody would be liable to bring this topic up anytime soon in any sort of Western Democracy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legality_of_euthanasia

Quote:
As of November 2017, human euthanasia is legal in the Netherlands, Belgium, Colombia,[1] Luxembourg and Canada[2] Assisted suicide is legal in Switzerland, Germany, Japan, and in the US states of Washington, Oregon, Colorado, Vermont, Montana, Washington DC,[3] and California.[4] South Korea is also set to join as a euthanasia-legal country starting from February 2018, both active and passive. An assisted dying scheme in the Australian state of Victoria will come into effect in mid-2019.

maxdancona

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2018 02:35 pm
@ehBeth,
Let's be very clear. Euthanasia in civilized countries is about relieving the suffering of people who have serious conditions. It is not a blanket right to die for everyone.

Euthanasia in these civilized countries is very heavily regulated. It requires a real condition and a rationale from a doctor... or a panel of doctors. You can't just walk up to a suicide doctor after deciding you want to die.

najmelliw

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2018 04:39 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Let's be very clear. Euthanasia in civilized countries is about relieving the suffering of people who have serious conditions. It is not a blanket right to die for everyone.

Euthanasia in these civilized countries is very heavily regulated. It requires a real condition and a rationale from a doctor... or a panel of doctors. You can't just walk up to a suicide doctor after deciding you want to die.

Exactly this. I live in the Netherlands, and I am well aware that euthanasia is considered to be legal, in so far it adheres to some very strict guidelines. However, euthanasia in the sense that Mark Noble is suggesting throughout this discussion is much more broad in scope and nature, and would most certainly not be allowed in my country, or in any of the other ones named.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2018 04:43 pm
@najmelliw,
najmelliw wrote:
in any of the other ones named.

you might be surprised/shocked what is accepted by doctors in Canada

someone who matters very much to me benefited from that last week. I am grateful that they could.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2018 05:35 pm
@maxdancona,
I have to say that you've made some very well thought out and expressed points in this thread. Kudos.

Quote:
Euthanasia in civilized countries is about relieving the suffering of people who have serious conditions.

And while they may not be rampant there have been instances where it's been fairly clear that the elderly who present an economic burden on their family have been pressured into ending their lives.

I do think that in certain cases people should have the right to assisted suicide, presuming they can find someone willing to assist (which is probably not that difficult).

However, your point about the societal impact of extreme liberty is an excellent one.

As a member of society, if I wish to enjoy the fruits of that association I need to give up certain personal liberties (I don't get to take whatever I can grab, for example) and this concept extends throughout our daily lives including someone's desire to end theirs.

You made an excellent point (summarily dismissed) that society would not be very fond of people willing to become slaves. You can substitute it with people willing to mutilate and disfigure themselves or any number of other clearly pathological desires.

It's a very thin line to tread, but a society has an obligation to look out for and protect its members who behave irrationally and against their best interests. Killing oneself because of a romantic breakup is hardly rational.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2018 05:46 pm
@najmelliw,
Just listened to a great radio feature on this subject from the Netherlands. I've reached out to the broadcaster to see if it's available as a podcast to share.
0 Replies

Hellspawn66621

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2018 09:38 pm
@mark noble,
If you were born in the cult everything changes.... You can and I wouldn't blame you... Or you could go on the offensive and make those bastards euthanize themselves.. Which, quite frankly, would be worth watching...
mark noble

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2018 11:14 am
@Hellspawn66621,
'If'?
If I was born upside-down with a cat in my rectum - Everything changes.

What the heck are you getting at?

It's NOT about morality or societal etiquette - It's about respecting the needs of an individual being.

0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 07:52:34