Will the Texas Bullet Train Get Built?

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2018 11:43 am
HOUSTON - The Texas bullet train project is picking up steam. Harris County residents can attend a public meeting about the project on Monday.

KHOU 11 viewers have many questions about the project. Here's what we know so far:

At up to 205 miles per hour, the bullet train will move passengers between Houston and Dallas in 90 minutes.

The route is broken up into segments, and the private company, Texas Central, that's funding the project, says construction could start as early as 2019 with a possible completion date of 2024.

Related: Texas Central unveils renderings of bullet train station in Brazos Valley

Texas Central will use the Japanese N700 Tokaido Shinkansen system. The project is estimated to cost $12 billion and will be funded entirely by investors -- no tax dollars.

Texas Central says it currently has investor commitments in excess of $115 million. It's a train ticket, Texas Central says, will be similar in price to airline pricing.

While Texas Central has already identified the location for the Dallas terminal, a 60-acre plot of land south of I-30 and I-35 near Hutchinson Convention Center in the Cedars neighborhood, it has not finalized the location of the Houston terminal. Though Texas Central does say the Houston terminal will be located outside of the 610 Loop, between I-10 and Highway 290.

Related: Here's what the proposed Dallas bullet train station could look like

The Federal Railroad Administration sent letters last month to notify Harris County property owners they may directly or indirectly be impacted by the bullet train.

Public Meeting Schedule:

Harris County: Monday, Feb. 5, 2018, 6 p.m. to 10 p.m., Woodard Elementary School, 17501 Cypress North Houston Rd, Cypress, 77433
Grimes County: Tuesday, Feb. 6, 2018, 6 p.m. to 10 p.m., Navasota Junior High, 9038 Highway 90 South, Navasota, 77868
Waller County: Tuesday, Feb. 6, 2018, 5 p.m. to 9 p.m., Waller High School, 20950 Fields Store Rd, Waller, 77484
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 734 • Replies: 8
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2018 11:44 am
What it may look like
http://www.khou.com/news/heres-what-the-proposed-dallas-bullet-train-station-could-look-like/512622998
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2018 01:36 pm
https://www.connect.media/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/tex_bullettrainrendering.png
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2018 02:03 pm
But gosh dernded it, it ain't-a gonna shoot on up over to Amarillo. Sad

I hope it gets built and running. This country has shut too many railroad lines for my liking.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2018 02:56 pm
It's a good idea, but I wish it would make more stops. The way it's planned now there will only be one stop in between Dallas and Houston. It would be good if it would go to Waco, Austin, and San Antonio and then to Houston and to the Beaumont area and back to Dallas. It's expensive but it can use renewable energy, which airplanes can't.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2018 02:58 pm
@coluber2001,
I think ticket prices will be comparable to airline prices. On the other hand, they have many hurdles before it actually can get started.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2018 06:21 pm
If it does get built, the next link would be from Dallas to ..... dun dun duuun. ... Tulsa.
I worked with the Nature Conservancy and Rail to Trails in the 1980s to preserve abandoned rail easements for the route North.
Joe(Zip !)Nation
roger

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2018 07:01 pm
@Joe Nation,
Well, look who just dropped in.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2018 12:18 pm
For those familiar with Houston, the train station would be put on the site of the defunct Northwest Mall.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Will the Texas Bullet Train Get Built?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 02:59:50