THE STAUNCH BOOK PRIZE

Setanta

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2018 06:31 pm
I have just heard a story about this new book prize on the CBC "As It Happens" program, and thought people here might be interested.

The prize will be awarded to a novel in the thriller genre, in which: no woman is beaten, stalked, sexually exploited, raped or murdered.

You can read about the Staunch Prize by clicking here.

The prize has been founded by Bridget Lawless, herself a writer. In the radio interview, she states there there has already been a good deal of positive feedback.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 414 • Replies: 6
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2018 07:51 pm
@Setanta,
My one complaint is the fee charged to submitting writers. £20
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2018 01:43 am
That's an interesting point. CBC literary prizes require a $25 (Can) submission fee. The Pulitzer requires a $50 entry fee. The Prairie Schooner book prize has a $25 submission fee. That's just a few. So that fee is a little more than some, a good deal less than the Pulitzer.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2018 06:25 am
I understand that economics dictates the need to charge for services. I'm bemoaning the fact that it can cost a writer enormously to peddle a book. Some well know books were submitted over a dozen times before they were picked up. If said writer paid $20 dollars a pop, that's over two hundred bucks. Of course, not every concern does charge, but the trend seems to grow each year. Many beginners are hard put to afford the fees.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2018 06:53 am
@Setanta,
#mensdeathsmatter? Wink
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2018 06:56 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

That's an interesting point. CBC literary prizes require a $25 (Can) submission fee. The Pulitzer requires a $50 entry fee. The Prairie Schooner book prize has a $25 submission fee. That's just a few. So that fee is a little more than some, a good deal less than the Pulitzer.

The entry fee is kind of necessary (albeit not even a speed bump if you really think about it).

Someone has to read the submitted books. Having to read all the books assigned to the person given the task: both good and crappy books can't be easy. That's a full time job.

It also keeps random goofs from submitting their My Little Pony erotic fan fiction to every literary prize.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2018 07:12 am
@tsarstepan,
You are a very bad man . . . but I will give you another chance.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » THE STAUNCH BOOK PRIZE
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/16/2024 at 12:32:11