Thermodynamic hot water systems

HaddyRO

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2018 05:54 am
So i'm looking into the idea of buying a solar hot water system for my home - partly as a new years resolution and partly as a my bills are currently so high.
I've explored solar thermal systems and heat pumps including ground and air source but what i'm finding is that every type of system I look into carries too many compromises. I live in a cold part of the UK, so air source heat pumps rely too much on air temperature to be efficient, and ground source seem to require quite a lot of expensive ground work that I don't particularly want to do Equally solar thermal are also heavily reliant on air temperature and sun radiation.
I need something that is going to be reasonably consistent and worth the investment.
I have come across something called 'thermodynamic hot water systems' some call them 'solar assisted heat pumps' but they seem to be a relatively new technology, equally i'm weary of false claims, can anyone offer a little more insight or suggest some good material to read/research?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 180 • Replies: 2
No top replies

engineer

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2018 09:55 am
@HaddyRO,
Based on this article, you should be skeptical.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/sep/07/should-you-install-thermodynamic-panels-on-your-home
0 Replies

HaddyRO

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2018 04:56 am
Thank you for the link.

Yes the article doesn't seem all that promising, but having looked into that test a little bit more, I understand systems such as these have to be tested to a certain recognised standard in order to mean anything.
The impression i'm given by some of the comments left below the article, is that this test is based more on opinion than fact. It is also 2 years old and they have been MCS approved since it was written. I also think that this is only a reflection of that particular thermodynamic panel and not all similar systems so i'm not sure how credible it is... but I could be wrong. I'll make sure I do some more research.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Thermodynamic hot water systems
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/12/2024 at 02:23:08