william Degess/Carl Hammel

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2018 05:58 am
I am wondering would perhaps have any information on the man who designed the Old soldiers home William Henry Degges (1812-1883) He lived at 1405 3rd Street NW.

Also would you have any information on the German Man who had the "Hammel Restaurant" named Carl Hammel (1870-1952) He had the restaurant for nearly 40 years in a couple of location in dc.

Any help you might be able to provide like an article or two I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you

Stephen Hosmer
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 341 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2018 02:47 pm
@steveeeeee,
I dont know abiut Degess.

Regarding Carl Hammel, I located this:

www.streetsofwashington.com/2011/once-upon-time-everybody-went-to.html?view=timeslide

Quote:
the restaurant was founded by Carl Hammel a natives of Been Germany, who emigrated to America in 1894 and settled in Washington D.C. a few years later. Hammel started out as a department store clerk and saved up to open his first tavern in 1904 at 25th and G Streets, NW in Foggy Bottom. It was fairly grim semi-industrial neighborhood across com the Abner and Drury Brewery. Hammel's originally wasn't much more than a lunch counter...

In 1912 Hammel moved his lunchroom to 922 Pennsylvania, NW occupying the same space that had previously housed Henry King's Millenary store. Hammel's Buffet kept the same atmosphere but started offering a fuller menu including the plank rock bass which would become the restaurant's signature dish for years to come. Like Basin's Restaurant, Hammel's was quietly successful in its early lunchroom years. Carl Hammel became a fixture in the community, active in German-American affairs and a member of The Board of Trade.

prohibition officers found 1200 gallons of beeer and red wine in the cellar of Hammel's April 25, 1923 Hammel and his clerk were arrested.

Hammel retired in 1929, leaving the business to his son Louis J. Hammel (1899-1990) and son-in-law Harry G. Kopel (1887-1964)

The building was acquired by the government for the Federal Triangle project and Louis Hammel and Kopel moved the restaurant to the 10th Street location, its final address.

In August 1932 less than 2 years before prohibition was repealed- the police conducted a major raid. ...70 gallons of "alleged" beer was removed... also virtually all fixtures from the massive bar to the collection of autographed photos of celebrities that had adorned the walls. Hammel, Kopel and 2 other staff were arrested.

The restaurant continued on several years more.

Eventually moved to Georgetown for a few years but finally closed for good.

Similar information found at this site: https://ggwash.org/view/10353/lost-washington-hammels-restaurant
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » william Degess/Carl Hammel
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 09:36:54