Second " ' "

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2018 12:10 pm
Save me someone from the trouble of Googlin' all morn: F'rinstance, 'n abbr'n' 'and,' is " 'n " okay or should it be " 'n' " ? !!

Incidentally, a2k's speller apparently thinks "F'rinstance" is wrong, it s/b "'F'instance". Whatcha think
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 344 • Replies: 6
No top replies

centrox

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2018 12:31 pm
In Britain, we see potato products with flavours like cheese 'n' onion and salt 'n' vinegar. The 'n' is the word and with the a and the d removed, and each missing letter replaced, as is usual, by an apostrophe.
http://www.walkers.co.uk/images/default-source/products/tear-and-share/bowl-op-2-insert-cheddar_v1_trans.png?sfvrsn=4
They do that in India too
http://prabhatchicken.in/adminpanel/images/pc24_chicken_cheese_onion_sausage.jpg
But you can do these things too, there is no rule.

Cheese 'n onion
Cheese N onion
Cheese 'N' onion
Cheese N' onion
Cheese & onion
...etc
Sturgis

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2018 12:59 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
Incidentally, a2k's speller...

There is no a2k speller. You have whatever sort of spell checking system is supplied with or downloaded to, your computer.

Quote:
F'rinstance...
. Makes me think of a French version of Fred Flintstone.

Quote:
F'instance...

People taking a particular side in Finland.

Well, you did ask.
centrox

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2018 01:14 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:
Quote:
Incidentally, a2k's speller...

There is no a2k speller. You have whatever sort of spell checking system is supplied with or downloaded to, your computer.

He's been told this dozens of times. He just ignores it each time, or maybe it suits him to be awkward, like a kid: "la la la I can't hear you!"
dalehileman

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2018 12:35 pm
@centrox,
Thanks Cen I knew you'd come thru
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2018 12:37 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:
There is no a2k speller. You have... your computer.
Thanks Stur, so they tell me but then I f'get

in Finland...
Quote:
Well, you did ask.
Again once more still, Gis made my day
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2018 12:40 pm
@centrox,
Quote:
He just ignores it each time
Cen I'm positively 'fronted

No 'fense. Get the puns ?

While we're atit, trox, whaddya think about the " '...' "...'s' . " approach? Whereas the usu [right outa the schoolbook] we punct, "He was given the 'Freezers's.' in ref to those from the freezers, to me anyhow " 'Freezer's'." just seems cleaner !! ?? so whatcha think...

Also, there's some contro 'round '... cleaner ! ? or...' re lc & singlespace..so whacha think
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Second " ' "
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 02:02:49