Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 07:51 am
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,155 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 08:01 am
graffiti- Please don't go away. New members are the lifeblood of any community, including internet communities.

As in any neighborhood, there are cliques. That is unfortunate, though a reality of life. Some people are aggressive enough to break through the cliques, and become part of them. Others hang back, and always feel that they are somehow, not part of the group.

Often, like in any community, a newbie has to keep plugging away, until he/she becomes a familiar part of the scene. Then, all of a sudden the person realizes that he/she is indeed, part of the group.

So keep on writing, and responding. As for me, I want you here, and I am sure that the vast majority of people on A2K feel the same way. Very Happy
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 08:01 am
Hi there graffiti.

I don't think you should shut up and go away. I think it is very good that you brought that up.

I am not aware of any discussions for certain members only - but I guess they exist. My favourite solution would be to welcome newcomers even though a discussion is mainly between a certain group of people. I believe it can only improve the discussion to have new people joining. And if the newcomer does not feel comfortable there - well, just find another thread you like. It's like in real life - not everybody really wants to talk with me even though I think their discussion sounds interesting. I might try to join - if it does not work - their loss...

I am definitely looking forward to reading more from you, graffiti.
0 Replies

graffiti

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 08:07 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
graffiti- Please don't go away. New members are the lifeblood of any community, including internet communities.

Thanks. Actually, I was kinda defensively joking when I wrote about going away as an option. I definitely do not want to leave. What prompted this thread is the fact that someone else DID leave after feeling unwelcome...followed by my being told of the thread which was in reality started only to continue a debate among 3 other A2Kers. :wink:

Phoenix32890 wrote:
As in any neighborhood, there are cliques. That is unfortunate, though a reality of life. Some people are aggressive enough to break through the cliques, and become part of them. Others hang back, and always feel that they are somehow, not part of the group.

Often, like in any community, a newbie has to keep plugging away, until he/she becomes a familiar part of the scene. Then, all of a sudden the person realizes that he/she is indeed, part of the group.

So keep on writing, and responding. As for me, I want you here, and I am sure that the vast majority of people on A2K feel the same way. Very Happy

That makes a lot of sense; it also makes me feel a whole lot better. Thank you, Phoenix. Very Happy
0 Replies

graffiti

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 08:08 am
urs53 wrote:
Hi there graffiti.

I don't think you should shut up and go away. I think it is very good that you brought that up.

Hi there urs53.

I'm glad you think it's good that I brought this up. Believe me, it took me a while to decide to do so.

:wink:
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 08:09 am
Hey graffiti,

I felt the same way when I started on A2K. But I stuck around, made a few topics, made an a$$ of myself a few times in the political forum, but most important, grew to know a few of the members. I think the key is to just give the Veteran Members a chance to get to know you (some of them are quite old, ornery and resistant to new things Smile ) Just keep interacting and you'll find where you fit in.

What helped me was making avatars for people. Stop in if you want one:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34408&start=0
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 08:22 am
Hi Graffiti! A2K is like a big college party. There are some people that hang around in a group together and you can't break in. There are some people that hang around together but welcome new ideas and suggestions and want to meet new members. There are some people that just wander from thread to thread interjecting into every converstation. There are some people who only post in select threads (usually political or religious). There are some people who don't want you to talk to them or disagree with them. There are some people who are dying for some good debate. The point I am trying to make is that there is a diverse group of people here. Phoenix, Jpin, panzade, squinney, shewold, occom bill, Kicky, brooke, slappy just to name a very small few, would be more than happy to have newcomers join in the conversation for lively debate or just to hang out and bulls*it. Some of the memebers come off as a little rough but no one wishes the new comers would leave.

Just be like me....wander around hijacking everyones thread! :wink:
Hold your ground on what you believe, don't be rude or nasty and insulting, learn to laugh at yourself (and the sometimes silly things you'll post), and remember that you have just as much right to be here as anyone else! Very Happy
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 08:30 am
What Kristie said...

Plus if you're ever bored just go to Smog's thread of ongoingness and post anything you want. It is a good place to just talk nonsense and get to know people... plus you help smog with the whole ongoingness thing.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 10:47 am
( gasp )

kristie ! how dare you tell someone I am nice.
holy sh^t ! oh my god. dont you know I like dont like newbies! Like OH MY GOD , like im gonna sooooooo ban you from my threads like WOW that was sooo like wierd you did that oh my god. Like i am so like ...just oh my god.

( Laughing )

I hope graffitti you have gotten that im joking!! :-)
Hi , welcome, tally-ho, tata- cheerio and all that other english food.
There are HUNDREDS of people on this thread. If one person doesnt want to respond to your post.. do one of 2 things.. KEEP posting and take a certain gratification in pissing that person off. heheh
or ignore them. It happens every where. People are entitled to threads where it is just a ' handful' of people that keep the conversation going just as you are entitled to post there. If you take alot personally on this thread you will be bald, afraid of midgets and believe kristie and i are one in the same people before 24 hrs is over.
Have fun! Post where you want. Laugh at the rude people, poke fun at the nice people and add your 2 cents where ever you damn well please. ;-) Laughing
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 10:59 am
Agreed - I'm not such a regular poster that I always get recognised, despite having been on this forum for ages!

You'll find your place...and I recognise your name and avatar from some other thread where you posted something good/fun...you make an impression slowly...good luck.

KP
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 11:04 am
Relax and hang in there graffiti I have been here for years and am still trying to overcome my shyness and introverted nature....but with the help of this crew I am making progress....you will too....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 12:22 pm
I noticed Graffiti right away, since I tend to agree with her on her posts - she must be a genius!

Most of us try not to be rude to newbies. One person who sometimes is mistaken for rude, at first glance, is indeed our king jester. And most of us have posts ignored from time to time as the conversation flows in different ways.

Some forums and topics are regarded by many of the posters as a place to be kept on-topic - particularly in the debate forums like politics and philosophy. Others thrive on
diversion, digression, dipsomania, and doofusses. But, really, even in the debate forums, I think new minds are welcome.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 10:02 pm
i found the best course of action is to find a forum you feel comfortable in and then branch out from there

for the longest time i basically only posted in the music forum, then as i got to know more people i started hanging around in general and a few others

i hope you stick around
0 Replies

smog

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 11:19 am
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
Plus if you're ever bored just go to Smog's thread of ongoingness and post anything you want. It is a good place to just talk nonsense and get to know people... plus you help smog with the whole ongoingness thing.

As far as I am concerned, this is the best advice. Everyone should follow this suggestion and post in that thread, helping me with my dreams of ongoingness. Everyone is welcome! In fact, everyone is appreciated! In fact, everyone is revered! In fact...well, yeah, you get the point.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 03:37 pm
Smog, a thought provoking topic, and as one who has suffered the slings and arrows of outrages fortune. I find myself agreeing with the replies, which must mean the pills are wearing off.

However, I think you will find over time that this site has the most refined and knowledgeable members who will always lend support.
Even I have been known to help a guy out on a limb, by cutting off the branch.

Don't let the Dingo Mafia get you down, Remember the film Ned Kelly? The Brits have really pinned them down, so we should cut them a bit of slack.

BTW should you recall the thread of concern, do let me know so I can mosey over and say howdy.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Musings Concerning Newer A2K Members
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 05:07:47