New and Improved

Roberta

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 05:54 pm
I understand why manufacturers and entrepreneurs feel the need to continually tout their products as better--than those of the competition and than they were before. But is change always improvement? New and improved--my big toe (or other anatomical parts). What if I liked things the way they were? Isn't that why I bought whatever it was?

Several products "new and improved" themselves right out of my life. Most recently: I found a place that had delicious barbequed chicken. Just right. The last time I bought one, it was "improved." What's that ooky aroma? What's that ooky taste? Feh. I couldn't finish the damned chicken.

Can they really still be finding ways to make Tide better? Will they ever stop trying?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 592 • Replies: 11
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 05:57 pm
I recently had an experience at the feedmill. I bought a bag of "new and improved" giraffe mix. I took it home and the giraffes tentatively sniffed it and then walked away.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 06:00 pm
Gus, Giraffes are known to be very fussy eaters.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 06:03 pm
Not only are you a whiz with the English language, but you also have a very impressive knowledge of the culinary devices of giraffes.

To say that I am impressed would be an understatement.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 08:10 pm
Lol - I guess they think they have to titillate our jaded consumerist palates and such., by aking us think things are different!

That is sad about the chicken.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 08:14 pm
Roberta, I had a similar experience with my all-time favorite shampoo and condtioner. They changed the ingredients and I was suddenly allergic to it.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 08:20 pm
The first version of the product is usually good...then since you're hooked on it they do the 'new and improved' version which is made with cheaper ingredients so the maker can stretch the profit margin.

They figger you'll keep buying it and won't notice...gee don't they think we're dumb.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 08:28 pm
What I REALLY don't like, excuse me for cyber-shouting, is when the designers enlarge the bottle of Whatever slightly, say, by an eighth, and then tout it with big letters all over the bottle, thus making your delightfully composed bathroom a haven for some loud new and blatant advertising package. Don't they know I try to minimize advertizing visible in my home? Haven't they tested for that among homemakers, so-called?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 02:13 am
Gus, You'd be amazed at the mountains of useless information I have sloshing around in my deteriorating brain--especially about animals. But I made that up about the giraffes. Sorry to disappoint you. Guess I'm not as whizzy as you thought.

Deb, Titillate, shmitillate. If I didn't like it the way it was, I wouldn't have bought it in the first place.

littlek, Yup, they improved themselves out of your life. I was taking an OTC med that improved itself out of mine.

Brand X, Duh. Ain't we dumb?

Osso, They'll give you an ounce more and shout it from the rooftops. I have a similar reaction to designers' names on clothing. Hey, they're my pants. Don't want some stranger's name on my ass.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 02:28 am
Oh man! You made me remember something - at the supermarket the other day, i was in line behind this lovely woman in a skimpy top.

On her shoulder were tattooed the words:

"Permanent property of Robert Bla Bla (can't recall the name).
If found, please call 8282782711216" (not a real number - lol.)

Talk about a brand on your arse!!!!

I mean, if people want to do that - it is none of my business...but!!!!!

It somehow felt worse cos she was black. I know that is irrational - and her business.....
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 04:05 am
Deb, Maybe irrational and her business, but I'm cringing half a world away.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 11:40 am
I had exactly the same reaction when I saw a bar code tattooed on a girl's arm once.

<shudder>
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » New and Improved
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/06/2024 at 08:23:48