Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 11:14 am
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,806 • Replies: 20
No top replies

jespah

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 11:32 am
Maintenance man? What's that? Mr. Jespah and I do the shovelling and, truth be told, Mr. Jespah does the vast majority of it. The snow is so deep that the snow blower will only keep clogging. So it's time for old-fashioned shovelling.

The local stores are out of rock salt and now we almost are, too - but the back half of the driveway and the turnaround in the back aren't done yet. The front piles are about 6 feet tall at their highest. In the back, it'll probably pile up higher. Hubby was out for over 4 hours this morning ....

PS Feel better. We are downing soup by the canful and I am making more tonight. Argh.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 11:44 am
I stocked in lots of good soups, broth-based, because i've been ill. Good thing, too . . .
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 12:00 pm
My winter horror story? Well, it's raining and my feet got muddy when I had to go out and feed the yard cats.

suffer suffer suffer
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 12:13 pm
You must live at low altitude, Roger. My sister used to live outside Espagnola, at about the 8000 foot level. It can be a scorcher in the day time, but you better have a fire lit before it gets dark. I've seen patches of snow beneath the pines in the Bandolier Forest outside Los Alamos in June--and at higher elevations, it's easy to get buried in the snow in winter. Sorry 'bout your hardships, hope the cats are able to endure.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 01:19 pm
blaaah!

After a little bit of rain, it's been so hot and humid here that everything sticks to you, and you get out of the shower and can't get dry. Bleeeaaaahh!

Snow - yeecccchhhh! Sounds a horrific time over there!
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 02:21 pm
I reckon that much snow would give Jack Frost a severe rectal pain.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 02:28 pm
Snow? Precipitation? H2O falling from sky? We ar ehaving the worst drought on record...can we have some of your snow? We will send you enough hot air in return to melt anything you like...

Hang on in there boys and goils....but, hey, amidst all the misery, sometimes you DON'T GOTTA GO TO WORK??!!!!

(Hope you are feeling better, Setanta - virtual eucalyptus oil for your cold, if that is what you have,,,)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 02:30 pm
About 5300' in Farmington. We have had real winters, but it's been a few years.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 02:35 pm
I was lucky to have a bro-in-law this am, he shoveled the sidewalks and driveway. All I had to do was dig out my car. That was just before we discovered that the washing machine was flooding the basement. Seems the drain to the city pipes is blocked up and now the washing machine is full of grey water and sewage (cringe). That discovery came before my shower and while my housemate was taking one. She had to stop mid-way. So, I'd waded around in sewage and then I couldn't take a shower. I came through the nasty, snowy streets of Cambridge to work and took one here (thank gawd!). Bro-in-law is still schlepping down in the basement with the plumber trying to fix it. Yech! So. We have no use of the toilet, the sink, the shower.... until it's fixed. And, btw, the dryer doesn't work either, suddenly.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 02:37 pm
But apart from that, yer havin' a wonderful day, n'est-ce pas, Boss?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 03:04 pm
Shocked
Poooooooooor Little k!!!!! I hope things are soon fixed!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 03:07 pm
I feel very fortunate compared to you folks - my heart goes out to you!
0 Replies

dream2020

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 03:33 pm
Sunday afternoon I went out to run a few errands, and was amazed by the lines at the gas stations, and the traffic jam in the local shopping center, where people were driving like maniacs to make the light and so they wouldn't have to let anyone else in front of them. Being clueless as to the weather prediction, I wondered, had there been another duct tape and plastic alert? Are we in another color code? What?

By the time36 hours and 2 feet of snow happened, I understood. That human instinct to get milk, movies and other survival requirements in case, who knows? The stores may never open again!!!! just takes over and people have to do what they have to do.

I have to admit I enjoy a good few feet of snow because the schools close and I don't have to work. It's wearing thin just now though because the snow's too deep to play in, my daughter's at home with friends running wild in the house, noisy with too much energy but no motivation to go out and try again to walk 2 steps without falling and becoming buried in the snow.

I'm trying to be patient, that's why I'm on the computer, to get some space from them, but who knows how long I can keep it up?
Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 03:39 pm
Hmmmm, Dream, kinda makes me feel like i've got it good here ('cept fer the arthritis part . . . ).
0 Replies

dream2020

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 03:56 pm
Ah, it's not so bad, now that I've calmed down in front of the computer. the kids are in the basement so I can't hear them, the sun's come out finally, and the Advil has kicked in.

Have you ever tried glucosomine with chondroitin for your arthritis? Some people say it really helps, but I guess that depends how bad you have it. Cold weather definately doesn't help.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2003 01:02 am
Awwwww Yeeccchhhh!!!

{{{{{Lil K}}}}}
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2003 09:58 am
Margo, is that red stuff you type your posts in,, raspberry ice cream, jumbuck blood or lipstick ?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2003 10:37 am
The plumbers were in the basement with the bro-in-law for about 10 hours yesterday. We fed them dinner. They came back before 8 a.m. today..... don't know the status. We haven't been able to use our water - more specifically, our drains for over 24 hours. More than one of us has peed in the back yard (remember folks - over 2 feet of snow). They say that they have to dig a new hole for a new sump pump, they need to dig into the cement of the basement (with a JACKHAMMER!). B-in-L had to clean out and take apart his work bench so that they could take down the wall he had built it against.....

At times like these I'm really glad I work in a household.

Thanks for the good wishes and hugs....
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2003 11:00 am
ok, all. In the game of bridge, the winners tell jokes and the losers say"Deal!"

It is perfectly beautiful here in Florida. We did have some cold snaps, but no horror stories.

When I was teaching in Virginia, I could tell you about some cliff hangers driving to work on ice. Faint, very faint in my memory. Laughing
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » BURIED ALIVE IN THE BLAHS
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 02:36:37