Arthropods--the most ubiquitous and diverse animals on Earth.

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2017 01:18 pm
Arthropod meaning jointed-foot is a phylum including insects, arachnids, crustaceans, and myriapods (millipedes and centipedes), and others.

Some years ago I decided to learn something about insects simply because other forms of wildlife were so uncommon, especially snakes, my first love. But insects are everywhere, and if you take a little time to study them and look at them close-up you'll be amazed not just at their alien appearance but also the implications of the countless relationships they have formed with other organisms. Its difficult, for instance, to look at a plant without imagining what role an insect played in its evolution, for many, if not most plants co-evolved with insects and vice versa.

Insects are always available for observation nearby. You may have to travel to a wildlife preserve to observe large mammals, but a trip to your backyard is sufficient to see insect wildlife provided you haven't eliminated them with pesticides.

So here is a journey to the world of insects and other arthropods.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8144/7540190394_5c0de5aefb_z.jpg

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 4,505 • Replies: 83
No top replies

coluber2001

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2017 02:35 pm
@coluber2001,
This sign is in South Africa, and it demonstrates the importance they place on dung beetles.

With the introduction of cattle into Australia during the late 19th century by Europeans the importance of the dung beetle was soon realized.

The dung beetle species in Australia we're not adapted to feed on the dung of cattle. Cattle dung without dung beetles may take as long as a year or more to break down and release the nutrients into the soil. Not only that, the dung dries into a 1 square foot object that blocks out sunlight to the plants underneath. If one head of cattle drops 12 cow pies per day, and there are 1 million head of cattle, and these compounds are not broken down for one year, that means that over the course of one year, 157 square miles of land will be covered with cow pies. If you extrapolate that to the 25 million head of cattle now in Australia 3,925 square miles of land would be covered with dung. That is an area about 63 miles squared.

Obviously, the land could not have supported that many cattle. The solution was to import dung beetles from Europe and Africa that were of a species adapted to the cattle dung. That solved the problem.

http://i.pinimg.com/originals/e9/52/d4/e952d49c660d30e4e2abd4d18430c65c.jpg
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2017 02:36 pm
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2017 06:16 pm
@coluber2001,
I admit it. I had no idea of the value of dung beetles. In fact, I was unaware of any value.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2017 07:00 pm
@roger,
The really big ones take turns rolling the sun across the sky.
roger

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2017 07:03 pm
@edgarblythe,
Everwhere, or just Australia?
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2017 07:09 pm
@roger,
Egypt for sure.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2017 05:25 am
@coluber2001,
Many Arthropoda are microscopic.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2017 12:19 pm
I have two tickle - tongue trees, Zanthoxylem clava-herculis, which are in the citrus family. The giant swallowtail butterfly, Papillio cresphontes, which is common around here, lays its eggs on Citrus plants. I look forward to these butterflies laying eggs on my trees so I can watch the progress of the caterpillars. This year I had three, but none of them survived predation by wasps. Three isn't very many, and I attribute the shortage of butterflies to the spraying for West Nile virus.

From the picture you can see that the caterpillar resembles a big piece of bird poo. I suppose this is to just dissuade bird predation. Another defense mechanism they have is the osmeteria, these little, red horns that they evert with the slightest touch. I've read that they emit some sort of odorous, noxious gas to repel predators, namely predatory insects, but I've never been able to perceive any kind of odor emitting from these horns. At any rate the osmeteria are apparently not very effective because they've all been preyed upon by wasps.

I have had a few successes in prior years, though, and it's always a joy to see these bright, beautiful butterflies emerge and fly off.

http://www.floridanaturepictures.com/butterflies/butter_pics/giant_swallowtail_caterpillar2.jpg
http://www.birdseyesandbutterflies.com/wp-content/gallery/butterflies/giant_swallowtail_butterfly.jpg

0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2017 02:15 pm
It's amazing to me that such complex organisms can be so small.
Dust Mite:
https://i1.wp.com/www.stutters.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/mi2.jpg?w=400
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2017 02:24 pm
This wasp is smaller than some single-celled organisms.

Megaphragma mymaripenne

https://images.nature.com/lw685/nature-assets/nature/journal/v480/n7377/images/480294a-i1.0.jpg
coluber2001

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2017 03:02 pm
@rosborne979,
I didn't realize that insects could be that small. Unless I'm wrong the length of that wasp is about 1/5 of a millimeter. What does something like that feed on? And consider the size of the egg.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2017 03:27 pm
@coluber2001,
I think that wasp in the photo is a juvenile. Probably only a bit larger than the egg it came from. I think it's a parasitic wasp, but I'm not sure what it's a parasite on.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2017 03:29 pm
I was going to put a picture of a Tardigrade out here, but they aren't technically arthropods (yet). They are still debating the classifications on Tardigrades.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2017 07:09 pm
@rosborne979,
The larva coming from the egg has got to be smaller. And unless I'm wrong there is no growth in the adult stage of insects.
rosborne979

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2017 08:01 am
@coluber2001,
coluber2001 wrote:
The larva coming from the egg has got to be smaller. And unless I'm wrong there is no growth in the adult stage of insects.

I didn't research it very well, just grabbed the photo and read the caption. Feel free to dig into it Smile
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2017 10:17 am
https://www.whatsthatbug.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/ironclad_leslie2.jpg

Ironclad beetle. I've seen about three of these around the Dallas area. A real rarity.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2017 10:53 am
http://40.media.tumblr.com/4c4fadc5c92baa4b0abaa51437704538/tumblr_na6714SYEU1skh5azo1_500.jpg
The hummingbird clearwing moth. When I first saw one of these I didn't know what it was. I didn't even know that it was a moth until a friend identified
it for me. The wings beat so fast it's like a blur.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2017 07:24 pm
@coluber2001,
Quote:
there is no growth in the adult stage of insects.
Thats only true for insects with" complete metamorphosis" (those that go through egg, larva, pupae, adult). Insects with incomplete metamorphosis, beetles , locusts, katydids, roaches, etc. continue to grow . They develop via "instars" where each instar is a stage of growth where the insect develops as a virtual smaller copy of the next size up. (sorta like a snake, who sheds his skin when he gets to the next growth stage.)

We use arthropods (all kinds) from the opibinians of the bottom of the Cambrian through the middle Cambrian, to Trilobite (and other seafood) that left fossils at unique time delineations (in fact we often define that layer as an Olenellus or a Phacops horizon (the actual dates are only important when were locating a specific petroleum resource that is unique to the sediment in which that specific fossil lived. These time layers are spred all over the planet and the fossils often save us time in "correlating" one area from another.

There is a use for all the seafood and insect fossils. ALL early arthropods demonstrated only incomplete metamorphosis. We find trilobites of a single species in all different sizes. So they grow, they shed their "skins" and move on.

There were a very few arthropods that were as big as a car but these were only sea dwellers here the oxygenated water could flow through their bodies . Thats why lobsters have gills on each of their legs and spircles. On land, except for the Crboniferous period, inects were limited to a max size that conformed to the amount of oxygen that the air contained aince the air couldnt permeate throughout a bugs body if it were really huge. Now in the Carboniferous we saw bugs as big as amodel airplane because the O2 was quite high.
coluber2001

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2017 10:02 pm
@farmerman,
With the insects undergoing incomplete metamorphosis, such as the grasshoppers and bugs, etc., they go through three stages, egg, nymph, and adult. The nymphs resemble the adults but they don't have fully developed wings and they're not mature.

With the tiny and and near microscopic wasp in question, it was winged and, therefore, an adult and it wouldn't have gained any more size or growth. That was pretty amazing in itself, that something that small- the size of a paramecium-could be that complex. The wings were not membranous but more feathery like a thrip.

1. Forums
  2. » Arthropods--the most ubiquitous and diverse animals on Earth.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 12:08:28