THE A2K EXPERIENCE AS OF 2/17/03

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 09:11 pm
I was number 76 to enter A2K land. Everyone was very supportive. The volunteers flocked to all of my interactions. Now, the membership has increased eleven fold. The volunteers are busy keeping up with other responsibilities and I must learn to deal with fewer participants.

If I am going to have to create my own mailing lists, I would love to see more members include their home area in their profile. Otherwise, I am pretty happy; except that, I am getting tire of a few folks. I suppose that is why I would like to find a way to reach out to members who are new to me.

What is the A2K experience as of 2/17/03...for you. What questions or concerns would you like addressed? What parts of the website still ring true for you?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,740 • Replies: 25
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 12:21 am
Things are perking along ... membership, and postings, are growing, and the rate of growth is increasing. There are quite a few new members getting involved every week, and some have become very active participants. I wouldn't say there are "Fewer" folks, just that there are "Newer" folks. I know I tend to hang out in the political threads, and those are not particulalrly attractive to most newbies. The other forums have lots of lively interactions and plenty of "New Folks", along with most of "The Regular Members".

I think its worthwhile to try to acknowledge and engage new members, and I also think its important to author intriguing, topical threads which will generate wide participation.

There are over 100,000 "Articles" posted to A2K ... not too shabby if you figure things didn't start untill late fall of last year.

timber
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 12:40 am
I love it more and more all the time. I love the idea of more people joining every day. It's like having one big party :-)
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2003 01:39 pm
I enjoy it very much. However, at the moment I have more of a 'reading phase' - I read more and write less. A passing mood...
0 Replies

KYN2000

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 08:41 pm
Is it possible to go to any one place on A2K, and see all new topics as soon as they are posted?

If one goes to "new posts since your last visit", you will see posts that have been posted long before you got there.

Isn't it possible to view posts from all forums in one place as "soon as they are posted"?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 10:29 pm
KYN2000 wrote:
Is it possible to go to any one place on A2K, and see all new topics as soon as they are posted?

If one goes to "new posts since your last visit", you will see posts that have been posted long before you got there.

Isn't it possible to view posts from all forums in one place as "soon as they are posted"?

Good point, KYN2000 (and Welcome to you!). The "posts since your last visit" option will pretty much do what you're looking to accomplish, but at least once, you will have to visit each forum and select "mark all posts read", or drop in to each new thread (a much more involved process) to set your view to just the most recent threads. The issue you raise is recognized, and a remedy is being explored, but calls for some specific coding. Personally, "View topics you have posted in" gives me several hundred from which to choose. At least they're ordered in relation to time of last post to the thread, so its handy for keeping up with new replies. I generally start with "View Topics With Posts Since Your Last Visit", then bounce between threads and "Topics You have posted in". I still lose threads. Laughing

timber
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2003 04:35 am
KYN2000,

Are you talking about a list of topics based upon when the topic was posted (regardless of when the lastest post was made)?
0 Replies

KYN2000

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2003 06:08 am
Timber and Craven, I understand what you mean, but I was hoping to be able to see all posts as they come in....... (brand new)in one place.

What I'm trying to say is....in the short time I've been here: I have never, ever seen a question that has no answers....(maybe one or two).

I probably just need to get accustomed to the format.

Anyway, this is a great site.

Thanks, to all.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2003 07:38 am
http://www.able2know.com/allthetopics.php
0 Replies

KYN2000

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2003 09:29 am
Craven, my friend:

As the total Dummy I am, I need you to walk me to the link you posted....from the A2K Homepage.

I have tried to get to that link but instead am finding the "latest responses to posts that have already been posted".

How do I get to the link you posted that will show "the newest posts.....absent any responses"?

There is another site (that I will not mention) that shows brand new posts at the gitgo.....before there are any responses.

Craven, forgive me.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2003 02:24 pm
Kyn2000 - are you looking for unanswered topics? If so, this is it: http://www.able2know.com/forums/search.php?search_id=unanswered
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 04:39 am
KYN2000

HOME > Control Panel > New Topics

Alost anything can be found from the control panel.

I plan to overhaul the navegation here when I redesign the site.

That page was a last minute addition that is not prominently featured on this site (by way of links) and hopefully when I redesign it will be more intuitive.
0 Replies

KYN2000

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 06:38 am
Thank you, Craven.....and all!
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 07:15 am
Are you experienced?
Have you ever been experienced?
Well... I have.
(Not necessarily stoned, but .... beautiful.)
-Jimi

===================

Won't answer any poll that does not contain the word 'smeg', thanks to dlowen. (And that's a lie too.)
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 08:10 am
KYN
Welcome To A2K :-) It's great to see ya :-) I pretty much navigate using the control panel. You'll love it here ;-)
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 10:07 am
A2K (Craven and crew) passed the test on the first potential disaster, closing down A2K. We were informed of the problem. A rationale was provided. A solution proposed. A probable date of completion for that solution was included. The problem was solved ahead of time and we were informed that the site was opened. Congratulations, this is one way to built a loyal membership.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 10:17 am
Thank you, that's very kind of you. We do our best. The staff is excellent; hard to ask for any better.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 10:36 am
Mapleleaf, very well phrased! Thanks for writing my thoughts.

Jespah, we really appreciate your work. Thanks so much.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 11:01 am
We really do Jespah!!!! Thanks so much !!!! :-)
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 07:01 am
I have a number of interactions which gained little attention. If I provided a list of their URLs, would it possible to have them deleted?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » THE A2K EXPERIENCE AS OF 2/17/03
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.17 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 10:56:24