Does progress always mean more dysfunction?

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2017 12:55 pm
I'm using as an example closed captioning. It's really a blessing with my poor hearing. The old vhs tapes and the older dvds closed captioning went through your tv. There was a black box with white lettering. Easy to read. Now, the black box is eliminated and there are just white letters. So long as the background is dark and solid it's no problem, but with a mixed background it's difficult and with a white background lmpossible. So I've given up on movies. I can't hear them at the theater and I can't read them on dvds. I noticed that the dvds
now have closed captioning in several different languages, so they're dysfunctional in many languages for your viewing pleasure.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 860 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Blickers

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2017 12:45 am
@coluber2001,
Well, if it's hearing that is the problem, does your TV have a headphone jack connection? Here are some very inexpensive wireless headphones, the sending unit plugs into the TV's headphone jack and sends a signal to the wireless headphones. Cost $21, and probably make the need for subtitles unnecessary.

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Headphones-Latency-Hearing-Aid/dp/B019JRD1ZU/ref=pd_sbs_23_22?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KSGB0SF3CG32ACP6FVF5
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2017 01:25 am
@coluber2001,
For myself, closed caption is the gift of a life time. I use it in conjunction with the sound. Reading along isn't that new to me as I have done it for years with subtitles with movies not done with the English language.

Dysfunctional, maybe. It has improved vastly since the early days when it would often show up as near or even utter gibberish.

Closed captioning is a piece of progress I appreciate.
roger

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2017 01:30 am
@Sturgis,
Better than nothing, but their speech recognition is far from perfect. Anyway, if it's a fast moving dialog, I just don't read as fast as I used to. Speaking of understanding speech, I've also discovered I also don't hear as fast as I used to.
Sturgis

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2017 01:37 am
@roger,
I also have to keep from moving my head too much as that seems to alter the receipt of sound. Blickers mentioned headphones. Those are odd for me as the hearing level is different from each ear. One is also muffled.

Maybe I should just stick with books...
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2017 03:02 pm
@coluber2001,
Just checking.
A. What is your model of TV?

B. What do you mean when you say that the subtitles used to go through the TV?
ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2017 03:23 pm
@Blickers,
Some of us do not have a tv.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2017 03:48 pm
@Blickers,
When you put in a vhs tape the closed captioning was the same as that on the tv. The same with early dvds, but you had the option of using the tv captioning or the dvd's. Nowadays you have to use the captioning on the dvd. And that's my objection. There is no black box with white lettering, only white lettering, which can be difficult or impossible to read depending on the background. Obviously, the people who make these captionings never have to use them.
Blickers

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2017 10:51 pm
@coluber2001,
I understand. What are the model numbers of the DVD player and TV that you use? Maybe there is some way for the closed captioning to go through the TV's system.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2017 01:54 pm
@coluber2001,
Yes, at least temporarily.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2017 05:03 pm
It's been decades now that subtitles on DVD movies appear in white text with black outline.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/eb/Example_of_subtitles_%28Charade%2C_1963%29.jpg
coluber2001

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2017 06:14 pm
@InfraBlue,
Exactly! And they stink!
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2017 08:51 am
@InfraBlue,
I think the only way one can appreciate how bad these closed captioning have become is to put in a DVD, turn off the sound, and watch the movie by reading the subtitles. If the manufacturers themselves have done this we'd still have decent closed captioning.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2018 03:18 pm
I have been unable to copy photos from Google and then paste them into A2K. However, Bing worked fine until they recently upgraded. I now find it impossible to transfer photos from Bing to A2K. Am I doing something wrong or is it just my cell phone?
Sturgis

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2018 03:32 pm
@coluber2001,
It's a hard call. I have had similar issues. Sometimes the photo post takes, other times, I just end up with the web info for the address appearing.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2018 04:19 pm
I was using web crawler with success, but they only last a certain amount of time and then the photos are deleted. I suppose I'll just have to look for another search engine.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2018 04:47 pm
I recently bought hearing aids. I now can understand what I am watching.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2018 11:48 am
I found out how to copy and paste photos from Bing. You have to download the Bing app.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2018 01:23 pm
@coluber2001,
I tried to use Bing on this computer, but just the other day went to Chrome. Bing just doesn't cut it for me.
Sturgis

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2018 01:27 pm
@edgarblythe,
I don't particularly like Bing, but it's the only way I've been able to get photos to post. Usually stick with Google Chrome, it gives a better run.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Does progress always mean more dysfunction?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/30/2024 at 04:11:06