My best-friend suddenly stopped talking to me. What to do?

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2017 04:39 pm
I am a single guy, and have been friends with this single girl for almost ten years. Our relationship was purely as good friends, that's it, and our guards were always up. We met through work, and we would sometimes meet for lunch, dinner, coffee, etc. Our conversations were always friendly and humorous, with no intent to hurt anyone. However, a month ago, my friend unexpectedly sent me a message asking me to stop communicating with her. (Note that this was uncalled for, since our friendship was built on respect, trust, and kindness, and nothing negative ever happened between us. We never had arguments). I replied by asking "what is it that I did that resulted in this message?". She never replied. I have noticed that in the past week she has blocked me from all social media (i.e. Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Whatsapp, etc.) I see her at work, and she ignores me. It is very hurtful.
I am awfully confused, and am wondering what I should do. Thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 618 • Replies: 6
No top replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2017 05:51 pm
@canadaguyadvise,
Weird.
Weird with a reason?
Something you said? It doesn't sound like it, but sometimes stuff can be taken not like you meant.

Guards always up? sounds appropriate for a friendship connected to work, hard to tell.

It sounds like she is pissed off, maybe she was waiting for you to flirt? But if that wasn't ever a problem, it's hard to guess.

Strange actions for a best friend.
What to do? Who knows? I suggest letting her figure herself out.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2017 06:20 pm
I don't know how to put this, but the explanation for the situation is totally contained in your post, but you can't see it, and that is why she broke off contact.

canadaguyadvise

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2017 08:31 pm
@centrox,
Thanks. Can you please explain to me when you said "the explanation for the situation is totally contained in your post, but you can't see it, and that is why she broke off contact." Please explain. I look forward to your response. Thanks again!
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2017 08:48 pm
Do you have a third party mutual friend who might give you a clue why this relationship took such a head dive? Ask that person.

What does " that's it" mean?

And what does "no intent to hurt anyone" mean?
0 Replies

MooraBx

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2017 06:35 am
@canadaguyadvise,
You could ask a mutual friend or someone from work that maybe knows what's going on.
I don't say it is your fault, but there must be something that happened because you have been friends for almost ten years.
Maybe talk to her at work after your shifts are done. Walk up to her and ask if she wants to talk. Tell her that you will leave her alone but that you want to know why at least.
And maybe does she have a bf now? maybe a jealous one that doesnt want you guys to hang anymore?
If this all doesn't work, just leave it be then. Someone who drops you after 10 years like that, isn't worth your friendship and knowing you.
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2017 02:49 pm
@canadaguyadvise,
Well, as far as I can tell, this can have a number of reasons. Here's a few:

1) What I think is most likely is that she started a relationship with someone who is quite jealous by nature, and she has no wish to fight over your conversations with him.

2) Whereas you might have been thinking in terms of a platonic friendship, she might have been interested in more, and now broke it off since she feels it won't happen.

3) You said something that ticked her off(or perhaps you did something in the workplace that ticked her off, hard to tell of course) and now she's pissed at you.

Since it's hard to get to the core of the problem if the other party is unwilling to communicate with you, I reckon the best thing to do is to just leave it be for now. Ignore her as well, and try and find/make some other friends.

Also, has something changed in your life? Are you, for instance, involved in a new relationship?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » My best-friend suddenly stopped talking to me. What to do?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 09:58:13