It's s'posta leak

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2017 03:36 pm
A typical inexpensive garden water-pressure regulator, such as one might use at the input of a water timer, of course neceessarily drips [else it couldn't regulate pressure]. My q is, I can imagine a bigger, more expensive unit [maybe batt op, w/semocond sensors, etc] that could somehow prevent that loss of water [which I estimate about 30 cents/day, depending of course on input pressure and other factors] Obviously this loss could be prevented by coupling the 'leak' to the other side of the timer, but the drip comes from a tiny hold hard to connect any sort of tubing

Yes of course I've been to Google, but let's face it, I was hoping somebody ot there--could give me some quick ans's

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 304 • Replies: 6
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2017 04:28 pm
@dalehileman,
That s/b more like 30 cents/month not day
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2017 05:47 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
My question is, I can imagine[.../quote]

What is your question? It is unclear.

As to imagining, you can just about imagine anything you darn well please.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2017 08:09 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:
What is your question?
(1) Have you had any experience with the comon water-pressure regulator and (2) if so (a) how do you feel about or deal with the drip; (b) are you aware of some sort of more expensive kind that doesn't 'leak' but (c) what do you think about my idea that the drip somehow be instead conducted to the output side of the watering assembly. Not the greatest invention of its kind, but at least the 'leak' wold be put to useful purpose instead of puddling under the timer [or whatever] where it doesn't do much good
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2017 12:36 am
@Sturgis,
Stur, the typical in-line garden pressure regulator has a relief feature that maintains its output pressure even when its output is blocked, for instance when the appliance it feeds is shut off, resulting in an apparent leak. The owner however might interpret the dripping as a malfunction of the regulator

My q asks whether anyone at a2k has experienced this and if so he is worried about the apparent leak in terms of its effect on his water bill

I've tried Googling the subject with no luck whatever

Thank Stur for your curiosity, my apolos for not making this clearer
Sturgis

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2017 12:54 am
@dalehileman,
I'm not a farmer and don't go for automatic devices to do the watering (even though the advisor back in high school recommended my becoming an agriculturist or at least studying agriculture in college - of course I knew better and realized the placement "test" was wrong. It also said I should be a sociologist).

So, where was I?

Oh yes. Never ran into this issue because I never had such a concern about watering.

My concern about a leakage would be twofold. First it could lead to oversaturation of the ground - which could disturb habitats or murder creatures dwelling there and second, it would be a waste of water which might be better used elsewhere. A danger to our ecosystem.

If you can afford the watering system then you can handle the attached costs of water bills. That said, you should still have it checked and either replaced or fixed.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2017 01:20 am
@Sturgis,
Quote:
My concern about a leakage would be twofold
Thank you Stur for that report. Of course dripping from the vent hole is perfectly natural and so is seldom a matter of concern. It only wets the ground a little bit, immediately below
Quote:
a waste of water
however might trouble someone like me, using one in-line regulator at each of a dozen or so battery timers in a 2.5 acre drip system, where the apparent leaks could consume a total of several thousand gallons a year
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » It's s'posta leak
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 06:10:48