Luddites / Luddism

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 11:52 am
Luddites are suspicious of new technology. They hate change. Luddites came to the fore in 1811, in a revolt against new machinery vs craftsmen in the textile industry.
What technology or new development would you reject in favor of the old way. This is meant to be lighthearted. Phun not Politics

Examples--------------------------------------------

The abacus in preference to the electronic calculator ?

Would you prefer a candle too light you to bed rather than 200,000 watts of nuclear generated electricity.

What's practicle and/or preferable, a surrey with the fringe on top or a Cadilac Seville.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,043 • Replies: 13
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 12:08 pm
old fashioned, heavy sweating, hard breathing sex over contemporary self-actualized meaningful relationships. but i could be wrong.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 12:12 pm
Given those options, the answers are obvious. But not all our choices are one-sided. Should we find new sources of oil in the wilderness or use energy more efficiently? Should we all get cell phones because they're available? Should those Segways be allowed to travel on sidewalks?

In other words, is every new technology inherently good? The Luddite point of view can be useful in answering these questions...
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 03:06 am
Change is not always good for the environment. That's the only thing that worries me.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 06:03 am
John,
I think I would prefer bartering to cash or plastic. I'll exchange a fish for your chicken, or I'll paint your barn for three squares a day.

Ah, how uncomplicated life would be; no identity theft, no telemarketers; just using the talents that one has to procure what one needs.

Hmmmm. Then there is always the possibility that the fish would smell after three days, and that would give the chicken man the edge...

Wait a minute! Let me rethink this. Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 06:05 am
I am a non-practising Luddite!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 09:11 am
Deb, Laughing

Still crazy after all these years, I see.

Luddite the Dust Mite

itchy itchy,
scratchy scratchy
sneezy sneezy
wheezy wheezy
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 10:47 am
Luddites do it in the dark
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 11:07 am
Non practicing Luddite? What might that be?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 11:09 am
I'm a private Luddite. I post from work, where i have a "state of the art" computer, and our shop has a dedicated data line. At home, i have a computer, for playing video games--no on-line intrusion into that side of my life. I have a television, which i use for playing console video games (i watch about one hour of television a month, usually, lead news stories--then i turn it off). I have no telephone at home. I have a radio/cassette/cd player. My employer gave us all a very nice digital camera for Xmas--i've never opened the box. I would be content with the life i knew as a child, pre-television, with the caveat that i'm addicted to video games.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 11:44 am
Change for the sake of change is called fashion, or perhaps a breath of fresh air. New technology looks good and makes people wealthy, some times.
Taking new technology selectively is probably the best approach.
Technology is only as good as the person using it.
Setanta mentions TV. From my own experience of working in Television, it is now highly dependant on hi-tech. for it's exciting and glamorous look. TV's new technology tho is often used to camoflage the poor production quality of the original source video footage being used. Human creative skills have declined radicaly.

Letty, dear. Not only would your fish begin to smell, they might achieve something they never achieved in life ---- WALK. As for the chicken, well he would have very little too crow about. no more dawn strutting for that dude.

Dlowan, a non practising Luddite ? The original Luddites were exported from their Small Island to your Huge Island. Do they number amongst your predecessors and do modern day Luddites gather in Covens within the shadow of Ayres Rock with a warren of wabbits
0 Replies

stike

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 07:06 am
I have been trying to find the official Luddite website.
anyone have a link?

I thought I had one for the Amish, too, but they are so behind the times, their server is dial-up.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 02:14 pm
I've got a hunch you're being a tad facetious, stike, but I'm willing to play along. Check this out:

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/PRluddites.htm
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 02:54 pm
Well, I'll be, stike. I've been a luddite all along and hadn't fully recognized it. As for the Amish, they have updated. They even have drive by shootings and road rage. (ahem, That's a lead in to a great joke)

D'artagnan, Interesting link.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Luddites / Luddism
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/07/2024 at 05:04:15