Renting a Room in Someone’s House

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2017 07:15 am
I am a 72 yr old woman renting a room in someone’s home. The lady of the house has a 12 yr old daughter, 2 cats & 1 dog. I pay half the rent which is $600 a month & have 1 cat.
Although I am extremely grateful that she offered to take me in when I had nowhere to go, I am now being hauled over the coals & made to suffer for various things.
From the start she knew I was temporarily disabled due to 2 torn tendons in my ankle and on crutches wearing a boot. I am often in a lot of pan & awaiting a 2nd surgery.
The first night I arrived she did not have a proper bed for me. All she had was a hospital bed that her mother died in! Bad enough, but she also had no blankets, pillows or sheets. Luckily I did bring 2 blankets of my own but the hospital bed was hard & terrible to sleep on. She kept saying they would remove it & put a proper bed in there. But as the days wore in, it never happened & I eventually had to buy myself an air mattress.
Come to then find out they had no cable TV & the remote didn’t work & no internet, even though she knew I had an internet business. So I am not currently able to do my business.
She won’t turn on the pilot light so there is no heat & it’s freezing in here. Various things around the house are broken (toilet seat slides off, toilet won’t flush, sink had no stopper, windows won’t open properly, closet doors are off the tracks & wont open, blinds on the windows are torn and hanging off, (and more!) but she won’t call the landlord to fix them. Not only that, but her dog poops in and ON my bed!
All that is bad enough but I’ve been quietly putting up with it all just to have a roof over my cat and myself’s head..
But lately things have really gone south. Yesterday I threw something in the garbage by accident, and today as I was digging thru it to try to find it, I discovered something shocking. I found that she had thrown away 5 of my yogurts which of only one was expired by 2 days, my good bologna slices that were in a ziplock bag and a carton of Brie cheese about 2 days past the expiration date. I was shocked & flabbergasted that she would take it upon herself to throw out MY paid-for items without even telling me!
When I diplomatically confronted her tonight about this, her explanation was “They were past the expiration”! Well most were not, and I personally don’t mind if they’re only a few days! It’s my property! Then she added that MY FOOD in her fridge was taking up too much space (Not!) and was going to cause her fridge to break down! When I countered on this & said that was ridiculous, she sailed into me, big time, along with the 12 yr old daughter, calling me all sorts of names & criticizing everything I’ve been doing! Now mind you, I can’t do heavy work around here due to my disability, but I wash the dishes, vacuum and clean up after myself. I’m a very clean-oriented person whereas they only do their laundry and change sheets once a month!
But now this incident with her throwing out my food and accusing me of putting too many of my items in her fridge has just crossed the line with me.
In my opinion, She just never really clearly analyzed & figured out what it really meant to take in a renter in her home, so now she is annoyed about all the little things and ‘punishing’ me. She had even gone so far tonight to question me on WHAT I’m eating and when I’m going to eat it!
I would leave in a heartbeat if I had somewhere to go, but I don’t! This resulted in a huge fight tonight, and when I touched her on her shoulder to try & calm her down and show compassion, she and her 12 yr old daughter accused me of striking her, which I certainly did not do!
Just another crazy thing: she accused me of generating germs & cockroaches because I wash out & re-use my ziploc bags to save money & recycle! Then she also accused me of being a bad influence on her daughter because I sometimes enjoy one glass of glass of wine with my dinner. In fact, they accused me of being an alcoholic (!!) which I am definitely not, being diabetic & watching my diet & what I eat & drink. So they accused ME of being a bad influence!
Yet- GET THIS- She allows her boyfriend to stay overnight and sleep in the same bedroom as her & her daughter who SLEEP IN THE SAME BED! But evidently THATS not a bad influence on her daughter!
I’m going crazy here & want to get out asap, and am trying to keep the peace in the meantime. Do you think she had the right to throw out my food and tell me what and when I should eat it? I feel totally ganged up on and that she is trying to control me unnecessarily. She also goes in my room when I’m not there & turns off my light & radio which I leave on for my kitty, even though I DO pay for my share of the electricity.
I am trying so hard to be a good tenant & truly believe I am. Some people say I should go with the flow since she has been kind enough to give a roof over my head & that it’s her house & that I should not complain, but I feel she is being inconsiderate & controlling especially in light of the fact that I cannot currently walk or drive.
Thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 411 • Replies: 3
No top replies

jespah

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2017 08:15 am
@Ladygold,
Thoughts?

Find another place to live. Full stop.

As for whatever goes on with this woman and her daughter, etc, who cares? You wouldn't give a damn about your landlady's love life if you lived in a big apartment building. Same thing here.

Look, I've rented a room in a private home (many years ago), and you get caught up in all of their drama if you're not careful. In my case, my landlady had a boyfriend who abused her. And when she got the courage to leave him, he would come around and, frankly, I think we were all in some danger (there was a second tenant in another room; she and I ended up moving out together and getting our own apartment - frying pan to the fire - she was a lousy roommate and I moved again a couple of months later).

So!

Get your ducks in a row as much as you can. You've got a business and, while you can't do it there, you could go to a local coffee shop or library and use their WiFi. Given that your company is online, I am operating under the assumption that you own a laptop and not a desktop computer (if I'm wrong, tell me). So get yourself out of the house and working. Save up the bucks to move and then do so. Get a roommate if you have to. Check the local college. A young girl moving out on her own for the first time might be a great fit.

I know you're in pain and I get that, but if you think things are bad now, imagine also recovering from surgery in this mess.
0 Replies

seac

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2017 10:47 am
@Ladygold,
I was helping an old friend find a room- in- house rent last year. He was asked to leave from a house with 14 rooms because of being falsely accused of unsanitary violations of the bathroom. After living with another friend for a few months, he was allowed back into the old 14 room house. In such a situation, you have to provide your own small refrigerator and cooking device, and just about all the other comforts you need. You can still catch free broadcast digital TV with a converter box and use wifi for your computer.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2017 01:06 pm
Move as soon as you can.

Don't have $$ for deposit for new place? Go to the largest Catholic Church and see if they have a St. Vincent de Paul Society to help out situations like yours with a deposit. You will have to prove you can make the future payments on your own, of course.

The cat may be an issue. Look for a place that allows animals, of course.

There must be other rooms for rent in your area . . .

Get colored plastic containers to keep your food in.

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Renting a Room in Someone’s House
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 01:39:30