Old asphalt floor up, what can i put down before tiling?

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2017 06:22 am
Hi, iv started to chip an old cracked asphalt floor up in my hallway, i will be left with an uneven concrete base. My plan is to put timber batons down in a grid form, all level with an existing floor so i can pour a concrete mixture in and screed off and tile over, but im worried because as im taking the asphalt up it looks like some form of dpm is coming up with it. Now i dont want to put a sub floor on top of the old concrete base if it is the dpm that im taking up. Basically im after some info on a decent dpm to put down if needed and what kind of subfloor can i put on top that can only be about 30mm-50mm (ish) deep?

Thank you
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 313 • Replies: 1
No top replies

jespah

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2017 07:12 am
@asad ali,
This is actually happening at my house (although in my case it was a wooden subfloor).

Take out as much as you can of the base. Starting from scratch seems to be the best idea. My contractor is using what I think it a bit like drywall for the base. I'd ask at Home Depot or the like (even if you don't end up buying materials from them). Wood could be an issue because moisture makes wood warp.

My contractor is also using levels to be absolutely sure (he's got 2 in my bathroom right now) he's got everything flat. You might also want to use more adhesive than usual; he's using a spreader with less space between the teeth (I don't know the technical names for these things) in order to make it easier to spread the dark gray stuff.

Hope this helps!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Old asphalt floor up, what can i put down before tiling?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 03:39:50