Misc. shoe talk/tales

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2003 10:33 am
We used to have a shoe store in Boston called Ralph's Shoes. It was on State St., behind Quincy market. They had lovely stuff, but a bit out of my price range, especially back in the day. It closed a couple of years ago & one of my attorneys always shopped there. She said the owner told her that when you had a baby, you went up one shoe size (when pregnant), and afterwards back down another half size.

So for example, if you start out a 8 & 1/2, during pregnancy you'd wear a 9 & 1/2 and then go down to a 9.
She couldn't believe it but it turned out he was right.

That theory made sense to me, re: feet size changing during pregnancy, etc.
Here's an odd thing though -- I usually wear an 8 & 1/2 with my usual brands that I love Soft Spots, Sam & Libby, and Naturalizer.

Recently I bought a pair of ballet flats from a company called Tic Tac Toes and I had to exchange them for a size 8. They are made in the US, so I thought perhaps they were cut a bit more generously than shoes manufactured overseas. But then I got a new pair of Naturalizer flats and had to exchange them for an 8. And I just bought a new pair of Naturalizer mary janes in an 8 and they seem to fit.

I'm thinking either Naturalizer has also decided to make its shoes cut more generously or my feet have shrunk? Important footenote, I have not been pregnant or had a baby (much to my mom's chagrin, she would love to be a grandmother).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 815 • Replies: 6
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2003 10:56 am
I've noticed that too, edithdoll. Shoes sizes are hardly uniform. I range from an 8 to a 9.

The shoe size thing DIDN'T happen to me when I was pregnant, though.

Shoe companies' sizing differ -- I tend to be 9 in Nine West shoes (hm) and an 8 in Timberland, for example. (I have size 8 Timberland sandals that fit absolutely perfectly.) But I also have noticed that it has to do with what kind of socks you are expected to wear -- big boots are roomier than, like, pumps.

Anyway, I don't think it's a matter of changing foot size, just the lack of uniformity in sizing.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2003 11:19 am
Well, I can't remember what happened to my shoe size, when I was pregnant. (Actually, I can't remember this either Laughing )

I do notice, however, that my size changes from shoe to shoe, wearing the same socks.
And, IMHO, this is not only due to the lack of uniformity in sizing but to the different use of American/English sizes AND the different "translation" to European sizes as well.

Shoe Size Conversion Calculator
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2003 11:29 am
Oh, if we get into European sizes, major problems. (I have a heckuva time getting Doc Martens or Fluevogs that fit.)

Main thing is lack of uniformity among companies; secondary is the "type" of shoe within a company.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2003 11:37 am
I've heard the shoe size change in pregnancy thing as well. I've also been told that our feet just get bigger with age - as we kinda squash 'em flatter and flatter as we walk on them. I don't mind needing different sizes in different brands, as i know the lasts are all different, but it makes me crazy to need different sizes within the same brand, but in different styles. That makes me grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2003 12:24 pm
I suppose that the only thing to do is buy bespoke shoes.You know they´re going to fit.
That is if you´re very very well heeled.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2003 01:22 pm
That explains why I was a size 7 before I had my son and now I'm a size 8. I didn't know what was going on, lol :-)
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Misc. shoe talk/tales
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/30/2024 at 02:54:18