THE YELLOWSTONE SUPERVOLCANO

Setanta

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2017 01:00 pm
The NYT had an article on this which caught my eye, but I like this National Geographic article, too.

The bad news is that if this one goes off, with the prevailing winds, it could bury the Great Plains, the Midwest and the eastern U.S. in several feet of ash. It might also bring on a volcanic winter. Between 1812 and 1815, five major volcanoes in the southwest Pacific region went off, culminating in the explosive eruption of Mount Tambora in the Netherlands East Indies (now Indonesia). The eruption itself probably killed 80,000 to 100,000 people. But the effect on the climate was more dramatic. People called 1816 "the year without a summer." At least hundreds of thousands of people died of starvation or the diseases of malnutrition. Millions of head of livestock (and perhaps game animals as well) starved to death because the natural fodder did not grow that year. In Europe in some places, people who were starving made human wave assaults on soldiers guarding warehouses.

That's the bad news. The good news is . . . uhm . . . I don't think there is any good news if that sucker blows.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 579 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2017 01:01 pm
Oh yeah--the good news would be that it would retard or even temporarily end global warming. The conservative nut bags will be deliriously happy.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2017 01:02 pm
Could it bring in a world like The Handmaid's Tale?
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2017 01:11 pm
I've been seeing those stories. We likely could persuade Trump to get Mexico to put a wall around it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2017 01:34 pm
@centrox,
Would you want it to?
centrox

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2017 02:10 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Would you want it to?

If it's the Lord's will...
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2017 03:39 pm
@Setanta,
Property values in New Zealand should go up.
oralloy

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2017 05:24 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
It might also bring on a volcanic winter. Between 1812 and 1815, five major volcanoes in the southwest Pacific region went off, culminating in the explosive eruption of Mount Tambora in the Netherlands East Indies (now Indonesia). The eruption itself probably killed 80,000 to 100,000 people. But the effect on the climate was more dramatic. People called 1816 "the year without a summer." At least hundreds of thousands of people died of starvation or the diseases of malnutrition. Millions of head of livestock (and perhaps game animals as well) starved to death because the natural fodder did not grow that year. In Europe in some places, people who were starving made human wave assaults on soldiers guarding warehouses.

That was only a VEI 7 eruption. Yellowstone will be a VEI 8 (ten times more powerful).

A good example of a VEI 8 eruption is the 75,000 BC eruption of the Toba supervolcano that caused a volcanic winter lasting 6 years, and according to genetic studies caused the human race to drop to fewer than 10,000 people.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toba_catastrophe_theory
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2017 09:26 pm
I like edgar's suggestion the best. Trump's wall will do it! Wink
BTW, my wife and I visited Yellowstone some years ago on a trip to visit the national parks. https://www.sciencealert.com/two-huge-volcanic-eruptions-created-the-yellowstone-park-caldera
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2017 02:08 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
Property values in New Zealand should go up.

They are so high already that the NZ government is banning non-domiciled foreigners from buying existing houses. A politician said "New Zealand is no longer for sale."
rosborne979

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2017 06:22 am
@centrox,
Ooo, bummer. Maybe Tasmania is the place to go.
oralloy

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2017 07:00 am
@rosborne979,
And if that star that's lined up to bathe the southern hemisphere in a close range gamma-ray burst decides to pop off when the entire human race is huddling down there?
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2017 07:07 am
Already I can see there will be a mineshaft gap.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2017 07:40 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
And if that star that's lined up to bathe the southern hemisphere in a close range gamma-ray burst decides to pop off when the entire human race is huddling down there?

You'll have Able2Know all to yourself, and can post whatever you like?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » THE YELLOWSTONE SUPERVOLCANO
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 06:15:08