i need help experience of pond pumps, or of solar powered devices?

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2017 01:43 am
Hi,
Does anybody have any experience of pond pumps, or of solar powered devices?
As I've finished most of the things I wanted to do on the house, I'm starting the garden from scratch this year.
The garden includes a small pond, with a raised bed behind it. The raised bed has a waterfall feature built into it, but no working equipment.

The pond is approx. 2.5m by 1.5m, and the top of the waterfall feature is 50-60cm above the pond water level.

The pond is on the shady side of the garden, but there's a shed right next to it. The roof of this shed would get a lot of light.

The shed does have power - there's a RCD on the outside of the house with a length of armoured cable running down the garden to the shed. But the shed is fairly old and not in top condition, so I'm happier with the RCD switched off when the shed is unattended.

So I'm looking at a solar pump. The shed roof means that I could have as many panels as necessary.

Specific questions I have...
- In reduced light levels, does the voltage or current from a solar panel get reduced? It'd make a difference to how I wire multiple panels together.
- Can you suggest a suitable pump and panels?
- Maybe a battery charging mechanism to store extra charge in better light conditions?
- Recommendations for connecting it all up? I have some electronics and soldering equipment and skills.

If it makes any difference, the pond gets frogs in it, so nothing that'll harm them please.

Is it possible in a budget of, say, £50?

With the shed nearby, I can obviously house anything like the battery indoors.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 300 • Replies: 4
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2017 03:39 pm
@hantrongtai1,
Han sure like to see ur Prof n'Engl !!
Oops. The TAT tear me apart for that sorta thing...your Profile in English....

Quote:
- In reduced light levels, does the voltage or current from a solar panel get reduced? ...
...'v'course, Tai. However, some if not many outfits sell it w/batt

Quote:
- Can you suggest a suitable pump and panels?
No but watch the Sunday fliers like Harbor Freight; then there's Amazon, etc etc etc etc

Quote:
- Maybe a battery charging mechanism to store extra charge in better light conditions?
The 'mechanism' apparently oft comes with the panel; though I'm not sure any such is needed. Probly direct conn 'tween

Quote:
- Recommendations for connecting it all up?

I'm sure it's easy. Incidentally we have a coupla such ponds w/ falls, we love 'em. Mom had wanted 'em though \I thought the idea as nuts. But now I love 'em too I have some electronics and soldering equipment and skills.

Quote:
If it makes any difference, the pond gets frogs in it, so nothing that'll harm them please.
No sweat. In one we have turtles and in the other, fish

Quote:
Well,...ours were $900 each [a bargain by the way], and while not entirely solar since our station serves the whole shebang. However, a 100-w panel(s) is about $150

I'll fwd this to my BH---oops, Better Half....Oops, mate, wife....who will corroborate my ob servations

...with battery...direct connection between, since the panel puts out a dc current while the batt is also charged by dc current, nd the voltage is probably plenty high
dalehileman

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2017 04:12 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
Well,...ours were $900 each [a bargain by the way],
That should be $4500.00 each. Of course I realize Trong that you hadn't asked. Good luck
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2017 01:14 pm
@hantrongtai1,
hantrongtai1 wrote:

This is crazy low.

dalehileman

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2017 02:22 pm
@centrox,
Quote:
This is crazy low.
Yea, that hit me too Cen. Bein' as the pound is near a dollar. Mebbe'z a typo

Quote:
The pond is approx. 2.5m by 1.5m, and the top of the waterfall feature is 50-60cm above the pond water level.
'Trisk of repe, we have two such at something like $4500 each, and that'n's a bargain, through the conivin'f my smarter'n-me BH, Enerval. Like I said, I was at first appalled by the whole thing but now I love it

Readin' it over,

Quote:
With the shed nearby, I can obviously house anything like the battery indoors
, again f'give any repe, why not it too in the shed

By the way Cen, why hasn't anyone revealed a typical power reqm't for the pump. In...'s case of course prolly hafta be 12 v dc so we need to know Ityp

I'd look up ours but they didn't give us an instr bk
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » i need help experience of pond pumps, or of solar powered devices?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 09:02:46